Women's Super League: Chelsea beat Arsenal to extend lead

By Tony LeightonWomen's football reporter
Yuki Ogimi
Yuki Ogimi became the first Japanese player to feature in the FA Women's Super League when she joined Chelsea from German club FFC Turbine Potsdam

Chelsea moved three points clear at the top of the Women's Super Leagueexternal-link with a 3-2 win at Arsenal.

Gunners goalkeeper Emma Byrne was at fault with Blues' second and third goals, scored by Jackie Groenen and Ji So Yun.

Chelsea are three points ahead of Birmingham, who climbed above Liverpool into second place with a 3-1 win at Bristol Academy.

Champions Liverpool were held to a 2-2 draw by Merseyside rivals Everton.

Women's Super League
Birmingham City1020
Bristol Academy1013
Manchester City1013
Notts County108

Arsenal 2-3 Chelsea

Chelsea continued their fine run with a seventh win in eight league matches to keep themselves in pole position to take the title.

They went behind when striker Danielle Carter slid home a 15-yard shot for the 10th-minute opener.

And the hosts had the chance to double their lead 10 minutes later, but Casey Stoney shot over from the penalty spot.

Blues equalised through a 25th-minute penalty of their own, which striker Yuki Ogimi converted.

And they went ahead three minutes later as Emma Byrne allowed an innocuous Jackie Groenen shot to creep under her body and into the net.

The scores were level again three minutes before half-time, midfielder Leah Williamson floating a 20-yard angled shot into the far corner of the net.

Byrne seemed to have made up for her error when she made an excellent stop from Ogimi midway through the second half.

But the keeper then hacked an intended 88th-minute clearance straight to striker Ji So Yun, who gleefully tucked the ball home to give Chelsea victory.

Everton 2-2 Liverpool

Both Everton and Liverpool took then relinquished the lead in a typically hard-fought Merseyside derby.

It was Everton who scored first, midfielder Danielle Turner scoring direct from a 31st minute corner.

Liverpool levelled a minute before half-time, Natasha Dowie finishing coolly after collecting a Gemma Davison through ball.

And four minutes after the break they took the lead through striker Kate Longhurst from a chance set up by by Dowie.

The lead lasted just seven minutes, however, striker Nikita Parris equalising with a tremendous 25-yard strike.

Parris was then sent off for a second yellow card offence four minutes from time.

Bristol Academy 1-3 Birmingham City

Birmingham boosted their title hopes after surviving an early scare.

Bristol were awarded a penalty in the opening 60 seconds, but striker Natalia's shot was well saved by the diving Becky Spencer.

Keeper Mary Earps could do nothing to keep out the Blues 49th minute opener, right back Weston drilling in a powerful 20-yard shot.

The lead was doubled on the hour as Potter swept home a Kirsty Linnett cross.

And captain Karen Carney struck the decisive third goal three minutes later, the winger's free-kick evading everyone to creep inside the far post.

Midfielder Angharad James pulled a goal back with a 76th minute 18-yard drive.

Top Stories