Super League Continental Cup: Arsenal to face City in final

By Tony LeightonWomen's football reporter
Man City and Arsenal set up final clash

Holders Arsenal will meet Manchester City in the Women's Super League Continental Cup final.

The Gunners beat Notts County 2-0 after extra-time of their semi-final through a Caroline Weir goal and a penalty by caretaker player-manager Kelly Smith.

Smith came off the bench to score in her last game before handing over to new manager Pedro Martinez Losa.

Striker Toni Duggan's 51st-minute goal gave Manchester City a 1-0 win against Women's Super League leaders Chelsea.

Arsenal 2-0 Notts County (after extra time)

England international Smith, 35, came off the bench in extra time to create the opening goal for Weir and then scored the second from the penalty spot.

Notts County had started well but Arsenal had the first chance with Danielle Carter shooting over the bar from close range before she then hit a post with an attempted cross.

As Arsenal upped the pressure, striker Freda Ayisi forced goalkeeper Carly Telford into a good save before central defender Niamh Fahey headed narrowly wide from an excellent Rachel Yankey cross.

And just before half-time Telford made a brilliant blocking save from Yankey as she turned the ball onto a post.

Carter and Yankey again went close after half-time but in the final minute of normal time it took a fine save from goalkeeper Emma Byrne to prevent Katie Hoyle giving County a shock win.

And Arsenal finally forced the breakthrough when midfielder Weir fired home from a 99th-minute cross by Smith.

Three minutes from the end, Smith smashed her spot-kick into the roof of the net following a foul on Carter.

Eni Aluko
Chelsea striker Eni Aluko twice reached the final of the WSL Cup with Birmingham but will not be making it a hat-trick this season

Manchester City 1-0 Chelsea

Manchester City could mark their first season as a Women's Super League club with some silverware after reaching the final of the Continental Cup thanks to a second-half goal from Duggan.

City started brightly when striker Natasha Flint wasted a 12th-minute chance, going round goalkeeper Marie Hourihan but then shooting into the side-netting.

At the other end, striker Eni Aluko sent an angled 15-yard drive just over the bar, but Hourihan was called into action again to keep out Flint's 40th-minute strike before turning aside a Duggan header.

However, the Chelsea keeper was finally beaten six minutes after the break as Duggan scored with a perfectly placed 18-yard shot.

The striker was unlucky not to double her tally in the 69th minute when her 15-yard volley struck the inside of the post.

But Chelsea rarely threatened with City keeper Karen Bardsley not making her first save until clutching an Aluko header just under the bar late on as the super league newcomers booked their final date with Arsenal.