Manuel Pellegrini angry with referee Mark Clattenburg

Media playback is not supported on this device

We were the better side - Manuel Pellegrini

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini was furious with referee Mark Clattenburg, believing he made three mistakes in the 2-2 draw with Arsenal.

The Chilean believed that neither Jack Wilshere nor Alexis Sanchez's strikes should have been allowed.

Pellegrini was also angry that a penalty was not given after Wilshere appeared to handle the ball.

"We have very difficult decisions, it was unbelievable. Clattenburg had a very bad day," said Pellegrini.

"It was in the same way he had a bad day against Liverpool last year."

Clattenburg was the referee when City lost 3-2 in controversial circumstances against Liverpool at Anfield last season, when Pellegrini felt Martin Skrtel handled for the Reds' second goal.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Arsene Wenger praises mental strength

The Premier League champions had taken the lead at Emirates Stadium through Sergio Aguero and Pellegrini was left infuriated as he felt the two goals which saw Arsenal turn the game around should have been cancelled out because of fouls in the build-up.

He was also angry at what he perceived as a handball inside the box by Wilshere, who levelled for the Gunners before a Alexis Sanchez volley put Arsene Wenger's men ahead but Martin Demichelis rescued a point for City with a late header.

"Both goals by Arsenal were very clear fouls, the first one, two or three continuous fouls and the second one Welbeck on Vincent Kompany," added Pellegrini.

"Wilshere had two hands in front of the linesman and it is a clear penalty, so in that case I must be very happy with the draw.

"We have more possession and more chances than Arsenal."

Wenger was also aggrieved at decisions from the official, adding: "I heard that Pellegrini was not happy with some decisions from the referee, all of them maybe.

"In the first half they stopped us going out on the break by systematically fouling.

"The yellow card came a bit too late in my opinion to be satisfied and stop that systematic fouling. It was not an easy game to referee."

Top Stories