Irish Premiership: Portadown 2-2 Warrenpoint Town

Portadown fight back from two goals down to earn a point against Warrenpoint Town at Shamrock Park

Portadown are tied on points at the top of the Irish Premiership table after battling back to salvage a draw at home to bottom club Warrenpoint Town.

The Ports pressed for an opener but were hit by two goals in a minute by Town's Stephen McCabe and Johnny Breen.

Portadown's Mark McAllister headed in from close-range just before half-time.

Warrenpoint were reduced to 10 men when Liam Bagnall was sent-off for lashing out and Ports substitute Gary Twigg grabbed the 84th-minute equaliser.

Portadown pushed for the victory which would have taken them two points clear at the top of the Premiership table.

But Ronnie McFall's men had to settle for one point which leaves them tied on 18 points at the top with Ballymena United and Crusaders.

Mark McAllister pulled a goal back for Portadown just before the half-time whistle
Mark McAllister pulled a goal back for Portadown just before the half-time whistle

The Ports should really have scored the opener but Ross Redman shot wide from a great position close to the penalty spot.

Warrenpoint, criticised by manager Barry Gray after the 3-0 defeat at home to Crusaders, broke clear to take the lead in the 22nd minute with McCabe drilling in a low shot

Inside a minute, Ruairi Devlin's pass found Breen who curled a superb finish past keeper David Miskelly from the edge of the box.

That stunned the Shamrock Park crowd and they had further disappointment as an offside flag cut short the celebrations after Sean Mackle had netted from close-range.

Portadown scored in the last move of the half, former Linfield man McAllister heading in from just a few yards out as Town struggled to clear the danger from a corner.

Twigg, returning after injury, came on as a Ports substitute in the 61st minute and soon had a chance but his shot was well saved by visiting keeper Martin Marron.

Warrenpoint's Bagnall was red carded for a throwing an arm back in retaliation as he was challenged by Darren Murray in the 76th minute.

Twigg forced in the equaliser from close-range after Murray's long throw-in from the right.