Holders Cliftonville into League Cup quarters after win over Carrick

Cliftonville 4-1 Carrick

Tiarnan Mulvenna's double helped holders Cliftonville into the League Cup last eight as they beat Carrick 4-1.

Diarmuid O'Carroll's two goals enabled Crusaders to snatch a 3-2 win over Coleraine in a lively Seaview contest.

Matthew Tipton's hat-trick helped Ballymena beat Ballyclare 3-1 after Randal Reid had put the Comrades ahead.

Chris Middleton put H&W Welders ahead against Bangor but a Jordan Forsythe hat-trick and a Dean Youle goal saw the home side fight back to win 4-1.

Mulvenna put the Reds ahead on 21 and after Kyle Cherry levelled on 48, the Reds striker hit his second goal on 68.

Two injury-time strikes meant a flattering three-goal margin for the holders as James Knowles took advantage of the Carrick keeper Brian Neeson going forward to score Cliftonville's third and the impressive Martin Donnelly scoring the fourth seconds later.

Crusaders 3-2 Coleraine

Paul Heatley's introduction helped Crusaders fight back to beat unlucky Coleraine at Seaview although young keeper Jack Duffin was the hero for Stephen Baxter's side.

Mark Miskimmin's deflected volley put Coleraine ahead on 30 minutes as the visitors dominated and after David Ogilby had a Bannsiders effort ruled out for offside on 48 minutes, Duffin made great saves to deny Darren McCauley and Miskimmin.

However, Richard Clarke levelled for the Crues on 69 after Heatley's deep cross was played back into the area by Gary McCutcheon.

As the match turned in Crusaders's favour, O'Carroll nodded in his first goal on 78 only for Neil McCafferty to reply almost immediately for Coleraine with a brilliant free-kick.

Heatley's trickery earned an 89th-minute penalty as Shane McGinty committed a foul and while O'Carroll's spot-kick was blocked by Michael Doherty, the Kerry-born striker fired the rebound to the net.

At Ballymena, Randal Reid put Linfield's second-round conquerors Ballyclare ahead on 21 minutes before the first of Tipton's two penalties levelled the contest on 34.

Chris Trussell missed a great chance to restore Ballyclare's lead after the break before Tipton's glanced in Ballymena's second goal on 57 and the striker completed his hat-trick with another penalty on 78.

At the Bangor Fuels Arena, Chris Middleton put the Welders ahead in the second minute but Forsythe levelled for the home side 18 minutes after being set up by Andy Hall.

A Paul McDowell cross was fired home by Dean Youle on 46 as Bangor took the lead and Forsythe completed his hat-trick with goals on 70 and 90.

Wasps Solutions League Cup third round results

Ballymena United 3-1 Ballyclare Comrades

Bangor 4-1 H&W Welders

Cliftonville 4-1 Carrick Rangers

Crusaders 3-2 Coleraine

Dungannon 3-0 Ards

Glenavon 1-5 Glentoran

Institute 0-2 Ballinamallard Unitd

Portadown 3-1 Knockbreda