League Cup third round: Wins for Glens and Ports

Fra McCaffrey scores a hat-trick as Glentoran romp to a 5-1 win away to Glenavon in the third round of the League Cup.

Fra McCaffrey's treble helped Glentoran to a 5-1 hammering of Glenavon while Portadown beat Knockbreda 3-1 to make the League Cup quarter-finals.

Curtis Allen and Jordan Stewart were also on target for the Glens while Conor Dillon scored for Glenavon before being red-carded after 41 minutes.

Darren Murray, Mark McAllister and Michael Gault netted for Portadown.

Dungannon Swifts secured a 3-0 home win over Ards while Ballinamallard United defeated Institute 2-0 at Drumahoe.

Douglas Wilson hammered in his first goal for Dungannon after 32 minutes at Stangmore Park and Jamie Douglas lobbed keeper Graeme McKibbin to make it 2-0 two minutes later.

Swifts keeper Alvin Rouse kept out efforts from Josh Cahoon before substitute Gary Liggett's rasping shot came off the post and in to seal the win on 74 minutes.

Anthony Elding put Ballinamallard ahead at Drumahoe in the sixth minute from a penalty after Institute keeper Rory Kelly fouled Liam Martin.

Stephen O'Donnell headed against the bar for the hosts before Ryan Campbell cut inside and drilled his shot into the bottom corner three minutes into the second half.

It was a comfortable passage into the last eight for the Ports, with Murray slotting home a 25th minute penalty after Knockbreda keeper Jordan Williamson pulled down McAllister.

Glenavon forward Kevin Braniff and Niall Henderson battle for possession
Glenavon forward Kevin Braniff and Niall Henderson battle for possession at Mourneview Park

Williamson tipped Murray's diving header corner round the post as he denied the Ports forward three times in the first half.

McAllister chested in from a pinpoint Ross Redman cross to double the lead on 56 minutes and Gault stooped to head home from a corner before Aaron Boyd's late consolation.

Glentoran crushed the Lurgan Blues at Mournview Park although they were helped by Dillon's dismissal late in a thrilling first half.

Glens midfielder Steven Gordon saw his lob hit the bar before Allen's low free-kick in to the corner set the Glens on their way.

Stephen McAlorum's fee-kick struck a post as the visitors were again denied by the woodwork.

Glenavon also came close as Andy Kilmartin skimmed the bar before Dillon equalised after 18 minutes.

Ciaran Martyn's shot came off the bar and from a goalmouth scramble Dillon got the final touch over the line.

However, the game turned when he was shown a straight red card for handball and McCaffrey converted the resulting penalty.

McCaffrey bent the ball into the bottom corner to make it 3-1 on 57 minutes and Stewart rounded keeper James McGrath before sliding in the fourth.

The hat-trick was completed by a back-post header with four minutes remaining.

Top Stories