Sheffield United are "continuing to deliberate on any long-term decision about Ched Evans" after their former striker was released from prison.
The 25-year-old was freed from Wymott Prison on Friday after serving half of a five-year sentence for rape.
The Sun reported on Saturday that the Wales international, who scored 48 goals in 113 games for the Blades, had been offered a two-year contract.
The League One club said that report was "false and damaging to the club".
Evans joined Sheffield United from Manchester City in 2009.
Following his conviction, the club did not renew his contract when it expired at the end of that season.
|Ched Evans's career in numbers|
|Norwich City (loan)||28||10|
Evans has maintained his innocence and will make a "very personal and profound" statement on his website next week.
More than 150,000 people have signed a petition urging United not to take the Wales international back.
Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor said last week that Evans should be allowed to continue his career after his release.
And United manager Nigel Clough told BBC Radio Sheffield on Wednesday: "We've had one or two discussions and the owners will make a decision on it.
"It is above a football level. If he comes back then we [the coaching staff] will decide whether to play him or not."