Yaya Toure: Police investigating 'racist' tweets sent to Man City star
Police have confirmed they are investigating claims Manchester City's Yaya Toure was racially abused on Twitter.
Midfielder Toure, 31, reactivated his account with the social network on Monday after a five month absence.
Anti-discrimination group Kick It Out said it had "received complaints" about two tweets of a "racist nature" and had informed the police on Monday.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said: "Officers are currently investigating."
Earlier, a Kick it Out spokesman said Toure had been back on Twitter "for a matter of hours" when he "received abuse of an appalling nature".
"We are disturbed by the fact that someone can be treated this way," the spokesperson added.
"We will offer Yaya Toure our full support."
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini said he expected the matter would be dealt with by the relevant authorities.
"The people in charge will do the right things," he said, adding that the abuse would have little impact on the player's performance.
"I think Yaya is an experienced player. He is always trying to fight against those things but I don't think he will have any problem about that, to play in the way he knows to do it," said the Chilean.
Former Barcelona player Toure, who has been African Footballer of the Year for the past three years, was also the target of racist abuse last season when City beat CSKA Moscow in Russia.
The Ivory Coast international said he was "furious" and, although CSKA denied Toure had been abused, Uefa ordered the partial closure of the Russian club's stadium for their next Champions League tie.