The FA Cup
GillinghamGillingham1Bristol CityBristol City2

Gillingham 1-2 Bristol City

Bristol City edged out Gillingham in an all-League One clash to progress into the FA Cup second round.

Greg Cunningham's header opened the scoring for the visitors and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas doubled the lead with a superb 25-yard effort.

Danny Kedwell converted a late penalty for Gills after Aden Flint was penalised for handball in the area, but the hosts failed to find an equaliser.

It was City's fourth win in five ties against Gillingham in the competition.

Gillingham manager Peter Taylor told BBC Radio Kent:

"I was pleased with the second half. We asked a few more questions so I was pleased with the response.

"I think the boys respected the opposition. We know they're a good team - they're not unbeaten by luck.

"The boys knew it was going to be a hard game, but it was one we could have won - that's how we approached the game.

"After the two goals the players didn't drop their heads, they kept going, they worked hard and I can't complain."

Bristol City boss Steve Cotterill told BBC Radio Bristol:

"Everything we could have asked for today went well, whether the penalty's a penalty or whether we kept a clean sheet or not is irrelevant in the cup anyway isn't it?

"A good performance, a different performance in each half which was warranted and was needed. The bonus side of it is when we need to dig in and need to defend we can.

"In the first half, some of our football was first class and I was really pleased with what I saw. The second half was different. They came out, they had nothing to lose and had a right go at us.

"It's always a difficult place to come and get a result, I've thought that throughout my career."



Formation 3-5-2

  • 1Nelson
  • 6LeggeSubstituted forMcGlashanat 45'minutes
  • 4Egan
  • 5Hause
  • 31HoyteSubstituted forDickensonat 75'minutes
  • 21Doughty
  • 7Loft
  • 8Hessenthaler
  • 3Martin
  • 9Kedwell
  • 10McDonaldSubstituted forGermanat 67'minutes


  • 2Fish
  • 11McGlashan
  • 12Morris
  • 14German
  • 18Pritchard
  • 23Dack
  • 24Dickenson

Bristol City

Formation 3-5-2

  • 1Fielding
  • 22Ayling
  • 4Flint
  • 6El-Abd
  • 11WagstaffSubstituted forBurnsat 74'minutes
  • 8Elliott
  • 15Freeman
  • 21Pack
  • 17Cunningham
  • 10Emmanuel-ThomasSubstituted forWilbrahamat 86'minutes
  • 19AgardSubstituted forBryanat 90+3'minutes


  • 3Williams
  • 5Osborne
  • 7Smith
  • 13Richards
  • 18Wilbraham
  • 20Burns
  • 23Bryan
Pat Miller

Match Stats

Home TeamGillinghamAway TeamBristol City
Shots on Target

Live Text

  1. Post update

    Match ends, Gillingham 1, Bristol City 2.

  2. Full Time

    Second Half ends, Gillingham 1, Bristol City 2.

  3. Post update

    Foul by Aden Flint (Bristol City).

  4. Post update

    Antonio German (Gillingham) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  5. Post update

    Corner, Gillingham. Conceded by Luke Ayling.

  6. Substitution

    Substitution, Bristol City. Joe Bryan replaces Kieran Agard.

  7. Post update

    Corner, Gillingham. Conceded by Aden Flint.

  8. Post update

    Corner, Gillingham. Conceded by Adam El-Abd.

  9. Post update

    Attempt missed. Aaron Wilbraham (Bristol City) header from the centre of the box is close, but misses the top right corner.

  10. Post update

    Aaron Wilbraham (Bristol City) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  11. Post update

    Foul by Joe Martin (Gillingham).

  12. Post update

    Greg Cunningham (Bristol City) wins a free kick on the right wing.

  13. Post update

    Foul by Jake Hessenthaler (Gillingham).

  14. Substitution

    Substitution, Bristol City. Aaron Wilbraham replaces Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.

  15. Post update

    Wes Burns (Bristol City) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  16. Post update

    Foul by Joe Martin (Gillingham).

  17. Post update

    Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (Bristol City) wins a free kick in the attacking half.

  18. Post update

    Foul by Joe Martin (Gillingham).

  19. Post update

    Corner, Bristol City. Conceded by Kortney Hause.

  20. Post update

    Foul by Antonio German (Gillingham).