The FA Cup - First Round

Wrexham 3-0 Woking

Andy Bishop scored once and set up the other two as Wrexham hit three first-half goals at the Racecourse Ground to reach the FA Cup second round with victory over Conference rivals Woking.

Bishop won the 19th-minute penalty from which Neil Ashton put the home side ahead after his first effort was saved.

Bishop then crossed for Wes York to fire home right-footed from six yards.

The 32-year-old striker then got on the scoresheet himself, finding the bottom corner on 43 minutes to ease through.

Second post for Cards
Woking were making their second visit of the season to the Racecourse Ground, having won 2-1 in the Conference back in late August

Wrexham have reached the second round for the second consecutive year, having gone out a year ago 2-1 at home to Oxford United.

Woking, five places above their opponents in the league, enjoyed the better of the early chances but Theo Lewis and Josh Payne both failed to test Wrexham goalkeeper Andy Coughlin.

And, when Bishop was fouled by Mike Cestor, referee Simon Bennett pointed to the spot, Ashton eventually scoring on the rebound after Jake Cole initially saved.

York then tapped home Bishop's cross to double his side's lead before the winger returned the favour for his team-mate to sweep home.

Wrexham manager Kevin Wilkin told BBC Radio Wales:

"It's a pleasing moment for the club and brings in extra revenue and hopefully we can get a home tie in the next round.

"That's the thing that pleased me most that we earned a clean sheet. We haven't kept enough clean sheets through the course of the season and that needs to change.

"We look like we've got goals in us and if we can keep clean sheets on a more regular basis then I think that will be the difference between us getting into the play-offs or not."

Woking boss Garry Hill told BBC Surrey:

"A free-kick has been given away and we got punished and of course from then until half-time was very frustrating.

"I was just amazed by the cheapness of the goal and that killed us off.

"The game was gone in the second-half but we were the better team but the game was over.

"Very disappointing and we are the same as any football club that we want a run in the FA Cup but we contributed to our own downfall in a big way and that hurts."



Formation 4-4-2

  • 1Coughlin
  • 30Pearson
  • 5Hudson
  • 4Smith
  • 3Ashton
  • 7DurrellSubstituted forKeatesat 85'minutes
  • 2Carrington
  • 6ClarkeBooked at 45mins
  • 26Hunt
  • 16YorkSubstituted forJenningsat 71'minutes
  • 10BishopSubstituted forMoultat 81'minutes


  • 9Moult
  • 12Keates
  • 14Tomassen
  • 15Evans
  • 18White
  • 20Gray
  • 24Jennings


Formation 4-4-2

  • 23Cole
  • 6J ClarkeSubstituted forNewtonat 54'minutes
  • 5McNerneyBooked at 18mins
  • 3Cestor
  • 32Arthur
  • 14Lewis
  • 7PayneBooked at 23mins
  • 21JonesSubstituted forGoddardat 63'minutes
  • 11Betsy
  • 9RendellBooked at 18minsSubstituted forTaylorat 68'minutes
  • 16Marriott


  • 1Howe
  • 2Newton
  • 10Sole
  • 15Nutter
  • 22Goddard
  • 25Taylor
  • 31Little
Simon Bennett

Match Stats

Home TeamWrexhamAway TeamWoking
Shots on Target

Live Text

  1. Post update

    Match ends, Wrexham 3, Woking 0.

  2. Full Time

    Second Half ends, Wrexham 3, Woking 0.

  3. Post update

    Corner, Wrexham. Conceded by Mike Cestor.

  4. Post update

    Foul by Connor Jennings (Wrexham).

  5. Post update

    John Goddard (Woking) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  6. Post update

    Foul by Kevin Betsy (Woking).

  7. Post update

    Dean Keates (Wrexham) wins a free kick on the left wing.

  8. Post update

    Corner, Woking. Conceded by Andy Coughlin.

  9. Post update

    Mike Cestor (Woking) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  10. Post update

    Foul by Louis Moult (Wrexham).

  11. Substitution

    Substitution, Wrexham. Dean Keates replaces Elliott Durrell.

  12. Post update

    Attempt missed. Kevin Betsy (Woking) right footed shot from outside the box misses to the left.

  13. Post update

    Foul by Neil Ashton (Wrexham).

  14. Post update

    John Goddard (Woking) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  15. Substitution

    Substitution, Wrexham. Louis Moult replaces Andy Bishop.

  16. Post update

    Corner, Wrexham. Conceded by Joe McNerney.

  17. Post update

    Foul by Joe McNerney (Woking).

  18. Post update

    Mark Carrington (Wrexham) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  19. Post update

    Attempt missed. Kevin Betsy (Woking) left footed shot from a difficult angle on the right is close, but misses the top right corner.

  20. Post update

    Attempt missed. Connor Jennings (Wrexham) right footed shot from outside the box misses to the right.