The late South Africa goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa is one of the nominees for the Confederation of African Football's Player of the Year award based on the continent.
Caf has announced an initial list of 20 names for the 2014 prize and it also unveiled a provisional list of 25 names for its main African Player of the Year award.
Ivory Coast and Manchester City's Yaya Toure, who has won the award for the last three years, is again included.
The winners of the two categories will be decided by votes from the head coaches or technical directors of the national football associations affiliated to Caf.
Both awards will be handed out at a gala ahead of the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations finals on 8 January in Lagos, Nigeria.
The 27-year-old Meyiwa was shot dead last month, he was appointed captain of South Africa earlier this year and had kept four clean sheets in the Nations Cup qualifiers.
The Tunisian duo of Fakhreddine Ben Youssef and Ferdjani Sassi, who both play for CS Sfaxien, have been nominated for both awards.
Egypt and Al Ahly's Mohamed Aboutrika won the 2013 Africa-based Player of the Year award before his retirement.
The nominees are:
African Player of the Year:
- Ahmed Musa (Nigeria & CSKA Moscow, Russia)
- Asamoah Gyan (Ghana & Al Ain, UAE)
- Dame N'doye (Senegal & Lokomotiv Moscow, Russia)
- Emmanuel Adebayor (Togo & Tottenham, England)
- Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting (Cameroon & Schalke 04, Germany)
- Fakhreddine Ben Youssef (Tunisia & CS Sfaxien, Tunisia)
- Ferdjani Sassi (Tunisia & CS Sfaxien. Tunisia)
- Gervinho (Ivory Coast & AS Roma, Italy)
- Islam Slimani (Algeria & Sporting Lisbon, Portugal)
- Kwadwo Asamoah (Ghana & Juventus, Italy)
- Mehdi Benatia (Morocco & Bayern Munich, Germany)
- Mohamed El Neny (Egypt & Basel, Switzerland)
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon & Borussia Dortmund, Germany)
- Raïs M'Bolhi (Algeria & Philadelphia Union, USA)
- Sadio Mané (Senegal & Southampton, England)
- Seydou Keita (Mali & AS Roma, Italy)
- Sofiane Feghouli (Algeria & Valencia, Spain)
- Stephane Mbia (Cameroon & Sevilla, Spain)
- Thulani Serero (South Africa & Ajax, The Netherlands)
- Vincent Aboubakar (Cameroon & Porto, Portugal)
- Vincent Enyeama (Nigeria & Lille, France)
- Wilfried Bony (Ivory Coast & Swansea, England)
- Yacine Brahimi (Algeria & Porto, Portugal)
- Yannick Bolasie (DR Congo & Crystal Palace, England)
- Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast & Manchester City, England)
African Player of the Year (Based in Africa)
- Amr Gamal (Egypt, Al Ahly)
- Abdelrahman Fetori (Libya, Ahly Benghazi)
- Bernard Parker (South Africa, Kaizer Chiefs)
- Bongani Ndulula (South Africa, Amazulu)
- Akram Djahnit (Algeria, ES Setif)
- Ejike Uzoenyi (Nigeria, Enugu Rangers)
- El Hedi Belamieri (Algeria, ES Setif)
- Fakhereddine Ben Youssef (Tunisia, CS Sfaxien)
- Ferdjani Sassi (Tunisia, CS Sfaxien)
- Firmin Mubel Ndombe (DR Congo, AS Vita)
- Geoffrey Massa (Uganda & Pretoria University, South Africa)
- Jean Kasusula (DR Congo, TP Mazembe)
- Kader Bidimbou (Congo, AC Leopards)
- Lema Mabidi (DR Congo, As Vita)
- Mudathir Al Taieb (Sudan, Al Hilal)
- Roger Assalé (Ivory Coast, Sewe Sport)
- Senzo Meyiwa (South Africa, Orlando Pirates)
- Solomon Asante (Ghana & TP Mazembe, DR Congo)
- Souleymane Moussa (Cameroon, Coton Sport)
- Yunus Sentamu (Uganda & AS Vita Club, DR Congo)