Irish Premiership: Glenavon 1-3 Cliftonville

Two goals from Stephen Garrett gives Cliftonville victory over ten man Glenavon

Cliftonville recovered from an early setback to beat 10-man Glenavon in an action-packed Irish Premiership clash at Mourneview Park.

Gary Hamilton fired Glenavon into the lead after just 30 seconds.

But the big talking point of the match came in the 22nd minute when defender William Murphy was sent-off for a two-footed tackle on Jude Winchester.

Joe Gormley and Stephen Garrett's goals put Cliftonville ahead at half-time and Garrett added another near the end.

It leaves Cliftonville leave on points with Portadown at the top of the table, the Ports with a slightly better goal difference after their late win at Dungannon.

Cliftonville were caught napping in the first minute at Lurgan as Glenavon snatched the lead through player-manager Hamilton.

Gareth McKeown's throw was flicked on by Murphy and Hamilton shot low into the corner of the net.

Cliftonville gradually worked their way into the match and were starting to find openings.

However, the dismissal of former Linfield stalwart Murphy in the 22nd minute changed the pattern of the game.

Referee Robert Crangle sends off Glenavon defender William Murphy
Glenavon defender William Murphy was shown a straight red card midway through the first half

Murphy appeared to win the ball as he challenged Winchester just outside the Glenavon penalty area, but referee Robert Crangle saw it as a dangerous challenge and pulled out the red card.

Cliftonville equalised six minutes later when David McDaid's persistence and pass set up Gormley who fired in for his eighth goal in five games.

In a ding-dong end to the first half, Glenavon midfielder Shane McCabe went on a great run, beating several defenders, before shooting off target.

Home keeper Alan Blayney then saved well from Garrett but the Reds went into the lead from the resulting corner.

McDaid's initial effort was blocked but the ball fell for Garrett who hammered into the net from close-range.

Early in the second half Hamilton had a great chance to equalise but shot tamely into the arms of keeper Conor Devlin.

Glenavon midfielder Andy McGrory then hit the far post with a low shot and Kyle Neill shot wide from the rebound.

Cliftonville had chances to go two up as Marc Smyth's effort was cleared off the line by Ciaran Martyn and Gormley fluffed an attempted lob and shot straight at Blayney.

The Reds did get a third when Garrett's deflected shot settled the contest.

Top Stories