Scottish Premiership
Partick ThistlePartick Thistle1KilmarnockKilmarnock1

Partick Thistle 1-1 Kilmarnock

By Richard WilsonBBC Scotland at Firhill

Kilmarnock arrested a run of five straight defeats with a well-earned draw at Firhill.

The visitors opened the scoring through Tope Obadeyi, but they could only hold on to the advantage for seven minutes.

Partick Thistle equalised through Danny Seaborne's header, and the hosts probably had the better of the few chances that followed.

Thistle would have been frustrated by the outcome, but Kilmarnock will have been relieved at ending their poor run.

Kilmarnock did not let their recent circumstances inhibit them. A sense of caution might have been expected in a side that had lost its previous five games, four of them in the league, but the visitors were prepared to be adventurous.

That attitude was rewarded with a bright, intrepid start. Partick Thistle were similarly bold, and the openness of the game brought an early breakthrough.

Josh Magennis, who was playing wide on the right for Kilmarnock, drilled a cross into the penalty area, which Lee Miller met with a firm connection. The Thistle goalkeeper Paul Gallacher provided a magnificent one-hand save, but Obadeyi converted the rebound.

Tope Obadeyi pokes home the opener for Kilmarnock
Tope Obadeyi pokes home the opener for Kilmarnock, despite a good save moments earlier by Paul Gallacher

Thistle treated the goal as a mere nuisance, because they remained committed to their crisp passing style. A slick move early on had already seen Kilmarnock's defence breached by three passes and a cross, but nobody was on hand to meet the deliveries into the penalty area.

A more direct move was rewarded, though, when Stuart Bannigan slung a free-kick into the area and Seaborne, running away from goal, steered a header past goalkeeper Craig Samson.

The set piece had been awarded after Chris Chantler tripped Stephen O'Donnell, and other flashpoints were scattered through the opening half.

One Christie Elliott foul on Jamie Hamill caused a confrontation between several players, while Hamill was seldom far away from any scenes of aggression in midfield.

For all that Thistle were capable of neat passing moves, it was set-pieces that allowed them to be most threatening. When Bannigan delivered another curling ball into the area, it looked as though it would carry over Samson and into the net, but the Kilmarnock goalkeeper reached up an arm to tip the ball over the crossbar.

The accomplishment appeared to have been left behind in the dressing room at half-time, since the play became disjointed. The best opportunity came from a free-kick for the home side, but any hope was quickly extinguished when the referee Steven McLean blew for a foul.

As if feeling compelled to take matters into his own hands, the Thistle centre-back Conrad Balatoni dribbled upfield and surged into the penalty area, but the ball was stolen off his toe and lashed clear.

Kilmarnock managed a breakthrough of their own, when Obadeyi latched on to Hamill's pass, but the winger's effort bounced under Gallacher's body and out for a corner.

James Craigen might have won the game for the home side, but he shot wide from just inside the penalty area after the ball was diverted into his path.


Partick Thistle

Formation 4-2-3-1

  • 12Gallacher
  • 2O'Donnell
  • 6Balatoni
  • 3SeaborneBooked at 80mins
  • 17CarrollSubstituted forFraserat 59'minutes
  • 18Osman
  • 8Bannigan
  • 14Elliott
  • 7Craigen
  • 15HigginbothamBooked at 29minsSubstituted forLawlessat 69'minutes
  • 10StevensonSubstituted forDoolanat 75'minutes


  • 1Fox
  • 9Doolan
  • 11Lawless
  • 22Fraser
  • 23Wilson
  • 26Lindsay
  • 28McDaid


Formation 4-4-2

  • 1Samson
  • 22Westlake
  • 6Connolly
  • 29Pascali
  • 23ChantlerBooked at 18mins
  • 7McKenzieSubstituted forJohnstonat 76'minutes
  • 4Hamill
  • 8Clingan
  • 16Obadeyi
  • 28Magennis
  • 9MillerSubstituted forMuirheadat 67'minutes


  • 10Johnston
  • 13Brennan
  • 18Ashcroft
  • 19Slater
  • 20Eremenko
  • 26O'Hara
  • 33Muirhead
Steven McLean

Match Stats

Home TeamPartick ThistleAway TeamKilmarnock
Shots on Target

Live Text

  1. Post update

    Match ends, Partick Thistle 1, Kilmarnock 1.

  2. Full Time

    Second Half ends, Partick Thistle 1, Kilmarnock 1.

  3. Post update

    Corner, Partick Thistle. Conceded by Mark Connolly.

  4. Post update

    Corner, Kilmarnock. Conceded by Stuart Bannigan.

  5. Post update

    Corner, Partick Thistle. Conceded by Mark Connolly.

  6. Post update

    Attempt missed. Gary Fraser (Partick Thistle) right footed shot from outside the box misses to the right from a direct free kick.

  7. Post update

    Steven Lawless (Partick Thistle) wins a free kick in the attacking half.

  8. Post update

    Foul by Mark Connolly (Kilmarnock).

  9. Post update

    Corner, Partick Thistle. Conceded by Manuel Pascali.

  10. Post update

    Abdul Osman (Partick Thistle) wins a free kick in the attacking half.

  11. Post update

    Foul by Jamie Hamill (Kilmarnock).

  12. Post update

    Hand ball by Tope Obadeyi (Kilmarnock).

  13. Post update

    Attempt blocked. Sammy Clingan (Kilmarnock) right footed shot from outside the box is blocked.

  14. Booking

    Danny Seaborne (Partick Thistle) is shown the yellow card.

  15. Post update

    Foul by Danny Seaborne (Partick Thistle).

  16. Post update

    Robbie Muirhead (Kilmarnock) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  17. Post update

    Corner, Kilmarnock. Conceded by Paul Gallacher.

  18. Post update

    Attempt saved. Tope Obadeyi (Kilmarnock) right footed shot from the left side of the box is saved in the bottom left corner.

  19. Substitution

    Substitution, Kilmarnock. Chris Johnston replaces Rory McKenzie.

  20. Substitution

    Substitution, Partick Thistle. Kris Doolan replaces Ryan Stevenson.