Steve Morgan: Wolves owner charged by FA after referee rant

Wolves owner Steve Morgan
Steve Morgan has owned the Molineux club since 2007

Wolves owner Steve Morgan has been charged by the Football Association for his actions following the Championship club's loss to Bournemouth on Saturday.

As the teams left the Molineux pitch following Wolves' 2-1 defeat, an angry Morgan confronted referee Mike Jones, who had sent off two Wolves players.

It is allegedexternal-link that his language and/or behaviour after the game was abusive and/or insulting and/or improper.

Morgan, who has since apologised, has until Thursday to respond.

Although the club will be appealing against both red cards, Morgan acknowledged that he was in the wrong.

"I would like to apologise personally to Mike Jones," he said in a statement issued late on Sunday evening.external-link

"I was extremely angry and frustrated at many of his refereeing decisions, and I still am.

"However, I should not have gone pitch-side to vent my frustrations."

Rajiv van La Parra
Rajiv van La Parra was one of two Wolves players to be sent off against Bournemouth on Saturday

The first of the two game-changing red cards came when Jones sent off Rajiv van La Parra following a collision with Bournemouth defender Steve Cook.

Wolves were 1-0 up at the time, but they then surrendered their lead playing with 10 men, before home defender Matt Doherty was also given a straight red card late in the game following his challenge on Brett Pitman.

"On both fronts, we will appeal," said Wolves head coach Kenny Jackett.

"I spoke to all the officials and the information I got was that Van La Parra was deemed to have led with his elbow, which was why he was red-carded.

"I felt at the time that it was head-to-head, as I still do, having seen it, that it was accidental.

"The second sending-off was equally hard. Matt won the ball with his first leg and his second leg was passive."

Jones was escorted off the pitch at the end of the game, which also happened when he refereed a match against Leeds at Molineux in February 2007.

On that occasion, Wolves winger Michael Kightly was, in his words after the game, "smashed" in the area by Leeds defender Rui Marques,external-link but Jones did not give the penalty.