Wigan striker Grant Holt has been ruled out for nine months after suffering a serious knee injury.
The 33-year-old was on loan at Huddersfield when he limped off in Boxing Day's draw against Rotherham.
"It's devastating news for the boy and we'll do all we can to get him back as quickly and as safely as possible," said Wigan manager Malky Mackay.
Holt said: "Absolutely gutted is an understatement. To hear the outcome is bitterly disappointing."
The former Norwich and Aston Villa forward had been at the John Smith's Stadium since September and scored twice for the Championship side.
He added: "I think everyone knows I wanted to come back and show everyone what I'm about.
"I think people saw that in me when I was out on loan, I was sharp and enjoying my football again, but yes, it's a big low point at the moment."
Mackay, 42, also confirmed that winger Shaun Maloney could leave the club in January, with the Premier League's bottom side Leicester one of the clubs that have shown an interest.
The 31-year-old was part of the Wigan side that won the 2013 FA Cup and has played a key part in Scotland's Euro 2016 qualifying campaign.
"There is serious interest in him from a few clubs," said Mackay, whose side are second from bottom of the Championship after Tuesday's 1-0 home defeat by Sheffield Wednesday.
"If it is something that suits Shaun - and suits ourselves - then it is something that we can deal with and it is something that might happen."
Wigan have already announced that Honduras midfielder Roger Espinoza will be allowed to exit the club in January.