Portsmouth boss Andy Awford will stay in charge for the time being after his position was discussed by the board on Monday, BBC Radio Solent reports.
Awford's side were booed off after Saturday's 2-1 loss to Southend, their seventh defeat in 11 matches, which saw them drop to 18th in League Two.
And it is understood that the board stopped short of guaranteeing his job is safe for the foreseeable future.
But the 42-year-old will take charge for Saturday's trip to leaders Wycombe.
He received the backing of the majority of the seven-man board, who, BBC Radio Solent says, want to give him every chance possible to succeed.
His supporters pointed to a difficult fixture list in recent weeks, but the team will have to start climbing the table to give former Pompey defender Awford greater job security.
Chairman Iain McInnes described the match against Southend as "must-win" in his programme notes.
"I understand the pressures of the job," said Awford, following the defeat.
"It comes with being a full-time manager. We haven't won in an awful long time now - it's a tough time for everybody at the football club."
Awford, who played more than 300 games for Portsmouth, was appointed on a full-time basis in May last year after his second spell in caretaker charge of the club.
Portsmouth have managed just seven league victories all season leaving the supporter-owned club just three points above the relegation zone.