Scottish Premiership
Inverness CTInverness Caledonian Thistle3KilmarnockKilmarnock3

Inverness CT 3-3 Kilmarnock

By Martin DowdenBBC Scotland at the Caledonian Stadium

Inverness lost ground on second-place Aberdeen after being held to a draw by Kilmarnock in the Scottish Premiership.

Graeme Shinnie lashed in Marley Watkins' headed knock-down to give Inverness the lead but Nathan Eccleston's first Killie goal levelled.

A deflected strike by Nick Ross put the hosts ahead again only for Craig Slater to equaliser with a free-kick.

Danny Williams' effort gave Inverness the advantage a third time but Killie came back again through Tope Obadeyi.

John Hughes' Caley Thistle, still unbeaten in 2015, trail Aberdeen by five points but are now seven ahead of fourth-place Dundee United, with positions two and three offering places in Europe next season.

Gary Locke remains unbeaten as Kilmarnock manager and is stating a strong case to take on the role permanently.

It was pulsating tie that said much about the character of both sides.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle led three times in the match
Inverness Caledonian Thistle led three times in the match

Inverness started brightly and predictably went in front. Watkins connected with Ross Draper's cross to nod back into the danger area where Shinnie arrived unchallenged to drive home.

It seemed inevitable that the home side would build on that lead but Kilmarnock immediately hit back. Eccleston latched onto a loose ball and made no mistake to fire his side level.

Inverness regained control of the play and went ahead after great work from Ryan Christie. The youngster gathered superbly, releasing Watkins down the inside left channel, who played a dangerous low cross to the near post where Ross got the better of Darryl Westlake.

A further blow came for Locke when defender Mark Connolly had to be replaced with what looked a serious injury to his arm.

As half-time approached, remarkably Kilmarnock hauled themselves back into the game once more.

Slater sized up a central 25-yard free-kick which he curled beautifully only to see it strike the post and come out. That misfortune was immediately rectified when the ball struck goalkeeper Ryan Esson, who had leaped desperately to his right, and found its way into the back of the net.

It was a real boost for a Kilmarnock side that demonstrated their ability to fight back in last weekend's 3-2 win over Dundee United.

In the second half, Hughes' side re-established their lead with a goal of real quality. Williams gathered in an inside left position and without hesitation fired an unstoppably powerful effort with real accuracy that arrowed home.

Again, the home fans celebrated, perhaps believing Kilmarnock could not recover for a third time, but they duly did.

David Raven's error allowed Obadeyi to show his considerable pace as he ran 60 yards to win a corner. The ball was flighted into the six yard box, falling right into Obadeyi's path and he knocked home assuredly.

Inverness were slightly more positive in their search for a fourth goal but the visitors continued to cause problems throughout.


Inverness CT

Formation 4-2-3-1

  • 1Esson
  • 2Raven
  • 5Warren
  • 6MeekingsBooked at 90mins
  • 3Shinnie
  • 16Tansey
  • 8Draper
  • 11RossSubstituted forFergusonat 74'minutes
  • 22Christie
  • 19Williams
  • 15Watkins


  • 14Devine
  • 17Horner
  • 18Tremarco
  • 20Polworth
  • 31Mackay
  • 37Sutherland
  • 39Ferguson


Formation 4-2-3-1

  • 1Samson
  • 22Westlake
  • 6ConnollySubstituted forSymeat 42'minutesBooked at 59mins
  • 29Pascali
  • 2Barbour
  • 26O'Hara
  • 19Slater
  • 10JohnstonBooked at 81mins
  • 14EcclestonBooked at 58minsSubstituted forKiltieat 79'minutes
  • 16Obadeyi
  • 28Magennis


  • 13Brennan
  • 15Smith
  • 30Kiltie
  • 36Syme
  • 38Hawkshaw
  • 43Lidington
Steven McLean

Match Stats

Home TeamInverness CTAway TeamKilmarnock
Shots on Target

Live Text

  1. Post update

    Match ends, Inverness CT 3, Kilmarnock 3.

  2. Full Time

    Second Half ends, Inverness CT 3, Kilmarnock 3.

  3. Booking

    Josh Meekings (Inverness CT) is shown the yellow card.

  4. Post update

    Darryl Westlake (Kilmarnock) wins a free kick in the attacking half.

  5. Post update

    Foul by Josh Meekings (Inverness CT).

  6. Post update

    Danny Williams (Inverness CT) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  7. Post update

    Foul by Mark O'Hara (Kilmarnock).

  8. Post update

    David Syme (Kilmarnock) wins a free kick in the attacking half.

  9. Post update

    Foul by Marley Watkins (Inverness CT).

  10. Post update

    Foul by Ross Draper (Inverness CT).

  11. Post update

    Greg Kiltie (Kilmarnock) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  12. Post update

    Foul by David Raven (Inverness CT).

  13. Post update

    Tope Obadeyi (Kilmarnock) wins a free kick on the right wing.

  14. Post update

    Ryan Christie (Inverness CT) wins a free kick on the right wing.

  15. Post update

    Foul by Darryl Westlake (Kilmarnock).

  16. Post update

    Corner, Inverness CT. Conceded by Craig Samson.

  17. Booking

    Chris Johnston (Kilmarnock) is shown the yellow card.

  18. Post update

    Ross Draper (Inverness CT) wins a free kick on the left wing.

  19. Post update

    Foul by Chris Johnston (Kilmarnock).

  20. Substitution

    Substitution, Kilmarnock. Greg Kiltie replaces Nathan Eccleston.