Egyptian league to resume with fans banned from matches

Media playback is not supported on this device

Footage shows chaos at the scene, as the BBC's Sally Nabil reports

The Egyptian Premier League will resume in March with supporters banned from attending matches.

The competition had been suspended after at least 19 people died following clashes between fans and police outside a stadium in Cairo on 8 February.

After a meeting on Wednesday, Egypt's cabinet said in a statement the league would resume "without fans after the mourning period of 40 days".

It did not say exactly when matches would resume or when fans might return.

However, local reports suggest the league will not resume before the Egypt economic summit, which is set to take place in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el Sheikh in mid-March.

The tragedy occurred before a game between Cairo clubs Zamalek and ENPPI when police and supporters clashed.

Police fired tear gas and birdshot at fans trying to force their way into the stadium, leading to a stampede.

It was the first time limited numbers of fans had been allowed to attend league matches since February 2012, when at least 72 Al Ahly fans died in clashes with Al Masry fans at the Port Said stadium.

Top Stories