Partick Thistle 1-0 Inverness CT: Archibald happy with scruffy win

Steven Lawless fired in a late winning goal for Partick Thistle
Inverness succumbed to a late goal at Firhill

Partick Thistle manager Alan Archibald was delighted to finally record consecutive league victories for the first time in over two years.

Steven Lawless struck late in a 1-0 win over Inverness Caley Thistle to follow up their 3-0 success against St Johnstone.

The last time Thistle managed to string together back-to-back triumphs was in the First Division.

"I didn't realise it had gone on as long as that, but we're delighted," said Archibald.

"It's been lingering on a long time and it makes it awkward at the press conferences because every time we win it gets brought up, so we're delighted to put it to bed."

There were few thrills at Firhill, with neither goalkeeper extended until Lawless found the net on 84 minutes.

"I didn't think there was a lot in it," added Archibald. "I think the pitch, albeit it might look okay from eye-level, it's horrible, it's really bobbly and it doesn't make for great football.

"We get our goal just by knocking it up and Stevie Lawless got on to the second ball and it's a good finish.

"It was a very scrappy game but we'll take that, we know there's going to be more games like that. It's always tough at the bottom of the league and we'll take a 1-0 victory all day long.

"If you ask any of the fans in the stadium they would probably have said that the team most likely to score would have been Inverness in times gone by, because we've been on the wrong side of late goals, so it feels really good to get one, and a winner as well because it's happened to us on enough occasions."

Inverness manager John Hughes
Inverness manager John Hughes experimented with a three-man defence at Firhill

Inverness manager John Hughes was disappointed with his side's second-half display, and thought they should have taken at least a one-goal lead into the break.

"We were the better team in the first half," he said.

"We dominated the football and we should have scored one or two goals if we were a little bit more clinical in front of goal.

"We had a solid shape, we passed it quite well on a sticky pitch, but the problem was that in the second half we were miles off it and not doing what we were doing in the first half.

"We never got on it, never passed it, played it too straight, and that put us on the back foot. We kept giving the ball away, and all credit to Partick, that gave them the incentive to get on the front foot and they got their goal.

"I'm a little bit disappointed in the goal, we should have been round about the second ball so to see it nestle in the bottom corner was a little bit disappointing.

"I thought we were not too bad first half, but, second half, miles off it."

Top Stories