Newport County will not overspend in the summer says Jimmy Dack
Newport County manager Jimmy Dack says the club have started planning for next season, but will not be handing out contracts they cannot afford.
A number of players are out of contract this summer and so far none have committed their futures for next year.
But Dack, whose current deal at Rodney Parade also expires at the end of the season, warns the Exiles' plans will be affected by their budget.
"We aren't going to have the financial power we had last season," he said.
"You can't be offering players contracts you can't afford so there's got to be a bit of realism to everything.
"We're slowly but surely getting a plan together to take forward for next season.
"I'm working alongside the board, giving them my opinion for who should stay, but it's tough because we've all been together for some time."
County go into the Easter fixtures in the play-off places, sixth in League Two, with seven games to go.
Dack says his own future will not be decided until their campaign ends.
"I'm really happy and enjoying myself, starting to grow into the job," he said.
"It's all new to me but I'm actually starting to enjoy it now.
"I'm going to give my all until the end of the season then sit down with the board and see if it's something we both want to take forward."
Newport face relegation-threatened Hartlepool United, who are 22nd in the table, at Rodney Parade on Friday.
Goalkeeper Joe Day and full-back Ryan Jackson are doubts after coming off during Saturday's 2-0 win at Accrington, but both players trained on Thursday.
Midfielder Robbie Wilmott remains out with a thigh injury, but Dack is optimistic he will play again this season.