Dougie Freedman: Nottingham Forest boss signs two-year deal
Last updated on .From the section Football
Nottingham Forest boss Dougie Freedman has signed a new two-year deal.
The 40-year-old Scot agreed a contract with owner Fawaz Al Hasawi last week and told BBC Radio Nottingham after the 3-1 defeat against Watford on Wednesday the deal was finalised.
"I have signed the contract which he sent me," Freedman said. "It's done."
Al Hasawi told the club website: "I'm thrilled. The upturn in performances and results since Dougie's arrival has been clear for all to see."
Freedman replaced Stuart Pearce in February on an 18-month contract, but the arrangement was to be reviewed at the end of the season.
The Reds won five of Freedman's first six games in charge to make up ground in the Championship play-off race.
But they have lost four of their last five games and ninth place is the highest they can now finish.
Freedman, who said there were "options" to extend his contract, added: "I'm delighted to be the manager of this club. I am so excited. It's a fantastic opportunity.
"We need to finish the season well and look at the summer.
"There are a couple of young players coming through and I will recruit a couple of players.
"We need to add a bit of quality but we have Chris Cohen and Andy Reid coming back and hopefully Britt Assombalonga will bring us back his goals.
"I have to build something - it doesn't just happen overnight. We have tried that trick and tried to throw money at it and it has got us nowhere. Let's settle everything down a little bit.
"It is certainly a brighter future, but we need to plan it in a different way. It might not be back-page stuff, but we will slowly go about our business and try to be successful for the longer term."