Carrick Rangers are promoted to Irish Premiership

Carrick Rangers return to the top flight after a three-year absence after beating Dundela 1-0 at Taylor's Avenue.

Carrick Rangers have clinched promotion to the Irish Premiership by being crowned winners of Championship One.

The east Antrim club finished top of the Irish League's second flight after a nervy 1-0 win over relegated Dundela.

Carrick ended the 26-match campaign two points ahead of second-placed Bangor who beat Lisburn Distillery 3-0.

Bangor will now face Warrenpoint Town, who finished one from bottom in the Premiership, in the two-legged promotion/relegation play-off.

For champions Carrick, it is a return to the top division after a three-year absence having been relegated in 2012.

It was skipper Aaron Harmon who settled their nerves on Saturday with the opening goal against bottom club Dundela at Taylor's Avenue.

Harmon stroked the ball home at the back post in the 11th minute to send Rangers on their way to the vital victory.

Bangor win seals play-off berth against Warrenpoint

It proved to be the only goal of the game as an anxious Carrick missed a number of chances to double their advantage.

Carrick end the season unbeaten at home in the league, winning 12 matches and drawing the other.

Bangor, who could have snatched the title and automatic promotion if Carrick had failed to win, kept up the pressure by winning away to Lisburn Distillery.

Dean Youle headed the Seasiders into a 17th-minute lead after Mark Cooling's volley had struck the Distillery crossbar.

Andy Hall scored a close-range goal early in the second half and Jordan Forsythe headed in from Hall's corner to make it 3-0.

Ards, who started the day in third and hoping to overhaul neighbours Bangor, ended the season with 1-1 draw away to Ballyclare Comrades.

Stephen O'Neill scored for Niall Currie's side in the 40th minute at Dixon Park with Andrew Doyle netting the Comrades equaliser with a free-kick in the second half.

Top Stories