West Ham are confident of signing former QPR midfielder Joey Barton on a free transfer in the next 48 hours.
The 32-year-old was released by the Hoops in June following their relegation from the Premier League.
The former Newcastle and Manchester City midfielder is expected to have a medical at West Ham within the next 24 hours.
Barton had been linked with a move to Aston Villa before their Premier League opener against Bournemouth on Saturday.
|Elsewhere on BBC Sport|
|Are the Ashes becoming predictable?||How Arsenal failed to adapt against West Ham|
|MOTD3: Who's our weekend star?||What's on BBC Sport this week?|
Barton said in his commentary for BBC Radio 5 live during Villa's 1-0 win over the Cherries at the Vitality Stadium, that he still has the ability to play in the Premier League.
On signing for a new club, he said: "The sooner the better, and judging by this game it won't be long before I get a phone call from somebody.
"The best player might be sitting in the stands this afternoon, even if I do say so myself."
West Ham chairman David Gold has previously been critical of Barton.
The 78-year-old said Barton "has a problem and should seek help" after the Liverpool-born player exchanged insults on social media with former Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester City player Dietmar Hamann in January 2013.