SWPL: Glasgow City 3-3 Hibernian

By Andrew SouthwickBBC Scotland at Airdrie's Excelsior Stadium
Glasgow City and Hibernian Ladies shared six goals in Airdrie
Glasgow City and Hibernian Ladies shared six goals in Airdrie

Abigail Harrison's last-gasp goal kept the Scottish Women's Premier League title race wide open in a thrilling game between Glasgow City and Hibs.

Denise O'Sullivan gave City an early lead but Harrison struck twice before half-time to put Hibs in front.

Nicola Doherty and Lauren McMurchie both scored from the edge of the area to turn the game in City's favour as the champions began to dominate.

However, Harrison completed her hat-trick with the last kick of the ball.

The 3-3 draw, the second between the teams this season, means both sides remain neck and neck at the top of the table with both on 38 points apiece.

Should they continue their winning ways, it would appear the destination of the league title - which has been in City's hands for the past eight years - will be decided when the two meet one final time on 4 October.

It took just seven minutes for Glasgow City to take the lead, O'Sullivan finding space between two defenders and picking her spot in the far corner.

However, the response from the visitors was instant with some brilliant opportunism from Harrison.

Cutting inside, from a good 40 yards from goal she sent a left-foot drive into the far corner past the despairing dive of Lee Alexander.

It was typical of this season's title challenge: everything the champions had done to date, Hibs had matched.

It should have been 2-1 when Hayley Lauder slipped through Julie Fleeting, however her first touch was poor and goalkeeper Jenna Fife saved at her feet.

It was Hibs who were looking the more threatening. Harrison had a shot saved, but minutes late she did grab her second when Lizzie Arnot picked her out from the left and she finished from close range.

Leanne Ross and Fleeting threatened for City, but Hibs could have extended their lead before the break when Chelsea Cornet's shot was blocked on the line by Cheryl McCulloch.

City rarely taste defeat and it was always likely to be a busy second half for Hibs goalkeeper Fife.

Twice in a minute she denied O'Sullivan and Abbi Grant with breathtaking fingertip saves.

However, she was stranded when Doherty found space at the edge of the area and clipped a ball into the top corner.

Hibs were struggling to get out of their own half, and Lauder, Erin Cuthbert and Clare Shine all went close before McMurchie finally put the home side ahead with a low shot from the edge of the box.

The game and title appeared to be slipping away from Hibs until Harrison latched onto a long ball, manoeuvred between two defenders and tapped the ball past Alexander to spark wild scenes.

Glasgow City: Alexander, McMurchie (Jones 86), Lauder (Shine 73), Love, O'Sullivan (Whyte 78), Doherty, McCulloch, Ross, Grant, Cuthbert, Fleeting (Montgomery 45). Subs: Rafferty, Cunningham.

Hibernian: Fife, Williamson, Hunter, Robertson, Arnot, Smith, Murray, Cornet (Michie 65), Harrison, Richards (Tweedie 87), Arthur. Subs: Johnstone, McMahon.

Top Stories