Irish Premiership: Warrenpoint Town 2-2 Cliftonville

Cliftonville's Ryan Catney in action against Liam Bagnall of Warrenpoint

Cliftonville fell two points behind Linfield at the top of the Premiership table as Warrenpoint Town picked up their first point of the campaign.

The Reds took the lead in the 16th minute when Jordan Dane turned Martin Donnelly's corner into his own net.

Stephen Hughes shot home the equaliser on 35 minutes and Mark Hughes put the hosts ahead with a 30-yard left-foot drive into the top corner after 41.

Martin Murray levelled with a well-placed finish in the 68th minute.

Dane's unfortunate error after Johnny Flynn was unable to get his head on Donnelly's corner handed the visitors, who had won their opening four fixtures, an early advantage.

Brothers combine for equaliser

'Point got back on level terms however when two of the Hughes brothers combined to engineer a well worked goal.

Daniel Hughes outmuscled Caoimhin Bonner before cutting back and swinging in a cross for brother Stephen to find the net.

Mark Hughes' sublime finish off the left hand post meant that Barry Gray's went in at half-time a goal up.

Steven Moan and Daniel Hughes went close, before substitute Murray fired in after the ball fell to him from a corner.

Cliftonville manager Tommy Breslin was sent-off for having words with the fourth official, then both sides squandered chances to take the win.

Stephen Murray skied a shot well over the bar for the home side, while Chris Curran saw his drive well saved by Jonathan Parr.

Warrenpoint move off bottom

Warrenpoint lie 11th in the table, ahead of Ballymena United on goal difference.

"We are pleased to get our first point on the board after a good performance, but maybe a bit frustrated that we did not go on and win the game," said Warrenpoint manager Barry Gray after the match.

The 'Point boss also confirmed that his club had received a bid from Linfield for forward Daniel Hughes, but indicated that he will be staying at the County Down club.

"We were very sluggish in the first half and Warrenpoint were hungrier. We improved a bit in the second half but a draw was probably a fair result," commented Breslin.

Top Stories