Ballymena through after scare against Moyola Park

David Cushley scored Ballymena's equaliser
David Cushley scored Ballymena's equaliser at Mill Meadow

Premiership strugglers Ballymena United scored a late equaliser and netted three extra-time goals to beat Moyola Park 4-1 in the League Cup.

Championship Two club Moyola had been on course for an upset as Chris Dowie gave them the lead on 48 minutes.

But David Cushley drilled in the 75th-minute equaliser and United added goals by Matthew Shevlin (2) and Eoin Kane.

In other second round games, Coleraine beat Ballyclare 3-1 and Carrick won on penalties against Lurgan Celtic.

Celtic had the chance to take an early lead when Aaron Harmon's push on Dale Malone resulted in a penalty. Malone took the spot-kick himself but saw Carrick keeper Brian Neeson make a diving save.

Ballinamallard's Liam Martin in action against Ryan Gourley of Banbridge Town

Carrick were reduced to 10 men just before half-time when Andy Doyle got a straight red card for a lunging tackle on Malone.

In extra-time Aaron Haire put Lurgan Celtic into the lead with a penalty after he had been fouled by Mark Surgenor.

But Gary Browne equalised for Rangers who went on to win 5-4 on spot-kicks with the decisive penalty being scored by keeper Neeson.

H&W Welders, managed by former Glentoran defender Gary Smyth, were 4-0 winners away to Dollingstown.

Former Crusaders forward David Rainey netted a penalty just before half-time with Chris Middleton, Sammy Devine and Paul Dickson adding further goals.

Championship side Bangor, semi-finalists last year, took an early lead away to Limavady through Paul McDowell but the Roesiders hit back to win through goals by Paul Owens and Cathair Friel.

Ballinamallard took early control of their game at home to Banbridge Town with goals by Stephen Feeney and Michael McCrudden putting them 2-0 up inside the opening eight minutes.

Premiership clubs Linfield, Crusaders and Ballymena United progressed in the League Cup

Leon Carters netted a simple tap-in in the 35th minute to make it 3-0 to Whitey Anderson's Premiership side, with McCrudden getting his second after the interval and Johnny Lafferty wrapping up the 5-0 victory.

Former Finn Harps forward Garbhan Friel scored a hat-trick as Institute saw off Sport and Leisure 5-2 at Drumahoe.

Friel and Paul Smith each netted twice as Institute took a 4-0 interval lead. Sport and Leisure hit back with goals by Padraig McKissock and James Daly but Friel got Institute's fifth from the penalty spot.

Institute's Ryan Morrow and James McGrogan of Sport and Leisure were sent off five minutes from time.

Coleraine took the lead in the 23rd minute of their home game against Ballyclare Comrades. It came from a blunder by Comrades keeper Jonah Nicholl who came out of his area to head the ball but it went straight to James McLaughlin who capitalised by putting Oran Kearney's men ahead.

Nicholl saved a Ruairi Harkin penalty but then a mix-up between the keeper and a defender resulted in McLaughlin getting his second goal on 33 minutes.

Rodney Brown scored Coleraine's third in the second half with Michael O'Hanlon getting a late consolation for the Comrades.

McLaughlin had a chance to complete a hat-trick but hit the bar with an 85th-minute penalty.

Ards won 2-1 away to Dergview with late goals by Danny McKee and James Cully after Ryan Mayse had given the home side the lead.

JBE League Cup second round
Dollingstown 0-4H&W Welders
Ballinamallard United5-0Banbridge Town
Carrick Rangers 1-1Carrick 5-4 on pensLurgan Celtic
Coleraine3-1Ballyclare Comrades
Crusaders 3-1Knockbreda
Institute5-2Sport & Leisure
Larne1-4 aetPortadown
Linfield5-0Glebe Rangers
Moyola Park1-4 aetBallymena United

Top Stories