Irish Premiership: Portadown 2-2 Glenavon

Joel Cooper of Glenavon in action against Portadown's Peter McMahon

Glenavon came from two goals down to secure a draw in a dramatic Mid-Ulster derby with Portadown, who ended the game at Shamrock Park with 10 men.

Darren Murray scored a 54th-minute penalty after Kris Lindsay was adjudged to have handled inside the area.

Gary Twigg fired home the second three minutes later but Eoin Bradley shot in off the inside of the post after 80.

Sean Mackle was sent-off for a lunging challenge and James Singleton then sent a looping header over David Miskelly.

The result sees Glenavon remain fifth in the Premiership table, one place and one point ahead of the Ports.

The hosts had the first chance of the match when Murray's dipping first-time volley rattled the crossbar and beat Jonathan Tuffey but the officials ruled that the ball had not crossed the line.

A deflected Kevin Braniff shot was well saved by Miskelly, while Andy Hall headed over as the Lurgan Blues went close to opening the scoring.

Glenavon's Andy Kilmartin in action against Peter McMahon of Portadown
Glenavon's Andy Kilmartin in action against Peter McMahon of Portadown at Shamrock Park

Just before the interval, Joel Cooper was brought down but referee Arnold Hunter ruled that the foul had taken place just outside the box.

After the break, teenager Cooper was at the centre of the action again but the former Ballyclare Comrades winger fired over when well placed to score.

The visitors broke the deadlock when striker Murray side-footed into the net from the penalty spot, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way for his fourth goal of the season.

Twigg put Ronnie McFall's side in control soon after when he got in behind the Glenavon defence and slotted the ball past Tuffey.

The introduction of Lurgan Blues player-manager Gary Hamilton had an immediate effect and the ex-Ports forward forced Miskelly into a fine save from his snapshot.

Bradley's well struck effort threw his side a lifeline and the home side were given further cause for hope when Mackle received a straight red card with six minutes remaining.

The unmarked Singleton got on the end of a free-kick to equalise and Bradley could have grabbed a winner in the dying seconds but his attempt flew just past the post.