Irish League Cup: Crusaders crash to Institute

Institute achieve the big upset in the third round of the League Cup by beating Premiership leaders Crusaders.

Championship strugglers Institute pulled off the big shock of the League Cup third round by beating Premiership champions Crusaders 4-3 at Seaview.

Gareth Brown scored the winner for Institute three minutes from the end of extra-time against the top-flight champions who had gone 12 matches unbeaten.

Institute had led twice in normal time and their other goals came from Dean Curry, a Garbhan Friel penalty, and an own goal by Crues keeper Graeme McKibben.

Andy Mitchell netted two penalties for the Crues after Stephen O'Flynn had headed their first.

Irish League Cup third round
Goal-by-goal account of the last 16 stage
McElroy's wonder strike for Dungannon
Watch the goals as Institute beat Crusaders 4-3
For the latest on NI football, follow @bbcsportniexternal-link

Holders Cliftonville went through 4-3 on penalties against Dungannon Swifts after a 3-3 draw at Stangmore Park.

Dungannon's Paul McElroy scored a brilliant goal from his own half but the Reds went though after keeper Peter Burke saved two in the penalty shoot-out.

Coleraine also needed penalties to see off Championship opponents H&W Welders at the Showgrounds.

The Welders had led through a Ryan Deans shot but James McLaughlin's ninth goal of the season brought the Premiership side level and they progressed 3-1 on spot-kicks.

Highlights from three of Wednesday's League Cup ties

New manager David Healy watched as Linfield were knocked out by Ballinamallard.

Jonny Lafferty scored the 70th-minute volley which took Whitey Anderson's men into the quarter-finals.

Shea Conaty gave Portadown an early lead but a David Miskelly own goal and Stephen Murray penalty saw them lose 2-1 at home to Warrenpoint Town.

A Johnny Taylor header on 30 minutes was enough to give Ballymena United a 1-0 away victory over Limavady United.

Two goals by Steven Gordon and a third by Curtis Allen saw Glentoran reach the quarter-finals by beating Carrick Rangers 3-1 at the Oval.

Gordon opened the scoring in the third minute with Brian McCaul getting Rangers level.

Carrick's Conor McCloskey saw a penalty saved by Elliott Morris before Gordon and Allen sealed the home win.

Ards won 2-0 away to Annagh United thanks to a Ross Arthurs header and Gary Warwick shot.

JBE League Cup third round results
Annagh Utd0-2Ards
Coleraine1-1Coleraine 3-1 on pensH&W Welders
Crusaders3-4 aetInstitute
Dungannon Swifts3-3Cliftonville 4-3 on pensCliftonville
Glentoran3-1Carrick Rangers
Limavady Utd 0-1Ballymena Utd
Linfield0-1Ballinamallard Utd
Portadown1-2Warrenpoint Town

Top Stories