World Cup 2018: Senegal comeback denies Madagascar

Senegal and Southampton forward Sadio Mane
Southampton forward Sadio Mane scored Senegal's equaliser

Senegal fought back to draw 2-2 with Madagascar in the first leg of their 2018 World Cup qualifier.

Hosts Madagascar, ranked 118th in the world - 79 places below their opponents, had opened up a 2-0 lead.

Faneva Andriatsima struck the first on 27 minutes and Njiva Rakotoharimalala hit the second half-an-hour later.

Moussa Konate halved the deficit on 70 minutes before Southampton forward Sadio Mane levelled with 10 minutes remaining.

Friday's 2018 World Cup qualifying results:
Madagascar 2-2 Senegal Niger 0-3 Cameroon
Comoros 0-0 GhanaLiberia 0-1 Ivory Coast
Kenya 1-0 Cape VerdeSwaziland 0-0 Nigeria
Libya 1-0 Rwanda (in Tunisia)Mauritania 1-2 Tunisia
Angola 1-3 South AfricaSecond legs on 17 November

The second leg of the tie will take place in Dakar on Tuesday.

There were surprise results in Comoros and Swaziland as Ghana and Nigeria respectively were held to goalless draws.

It could have been worse for Ghana's Black Stars as Comoros forward Nasser Chamed had a goal controversially ruled out for offside.

At the other end, Ghana's Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu and Andre Ayew came back off the post.

The sides will meet again on Tuesday in Kumasi, while Nigeria will host Swaziland in Port Harcourt on the same day.

Kenya pulled of an impressive win against Cape Verde, thanks to a goal from Michael Olunga.

South Africa's Andile Jali
Mixed emotions for South Africa's Andile Jali, who was sent off moments after scoring a penalty

A single goal was also enough for Libya to overcome Rwanda.

Their 1-0 home win was secured with a 48th-minute penalty scored by Faisal Al Badri.

South Africa came from behind to earn a comfortable 3-1 win at Angola - but their victory was slightly soured by a red card for Andile Jali.

The midfielder was shown a second yellow card for over-celebrating after he had scored Bafana Bafana's third goal from the penalty spot.

Angola had taken a fifth-minute lead through Gelson but it lasted only six minutes before Tokelo Rantie restored parity.

Thamsanqa Gabuza made it 2-1 to South Africa only 10 minutes later.

With eight minutes remaining, Jali scored but was then swiftly shown a second yellow card.

Tunisia also came from behind to beat Mauritania.

The hosts took the lead through a header from captain Oumar N'Diaye after 22 minutes.

But goals in the second half from Wahbi Khazri and Yassine Chikhaoui secured a 2-1 victory.

Cameroon swept to a 3-0 victory at Niger, with all three goals coming in a four-minute spell at the end of the first half.

Stephane M'Bia started the scoring on 36 minutes, with Vincent Aboubakar and Edgar Salli adding the others to end the game as a contest before the interval.

African champions Ivory Coast were made to work hard for their 1-0 win over hosts Liberia in Monrovia.

The Elephants were playing without key striker Wilfried Bony, who is injured, with Belgium-based Gohi Cyriac scoring the only goal on the stroke of half-time.

Top Stories