Irish Cup: No upset as Glenavon ease past H&W Welders

H&W Welders 1-4 Glenavon

Glenavon avoided a repeat of last year's Irish Cup defeat at H&W Welders by winning 4-1 in the fifth round.

The Premiership side took a 20th-minute lead through Andy Hall's direct free-kick and went two up after the interval with an Eoin Bradley header.

Scott Davidson pulled one back for the Championship One title contenders but another Bradley header and a late goal by Joel Cooper wrapped it up.

Carrick Rangers secured a 2-0 win away to Championship team Banbridge Town.

The Premiership side took a fourth-minute lead through Miguel Chines who netted a left-foot finish from about six yards following Aaron Harmon's low ball in from the right.

They made it 2-0 in the second half when Kyle Cherry's shot was saved and Daniel Kelly followed up.

Aaron Walsh of Loughgall
Former Institute midfielder Aaron Walsh scored in Loughgall's win over Larne

Loughgall came from behind to beat Larne 5-2.

Larne took the lead in the 15th minute when Thomas Robinson's half volley found the top corner.

But Loughgall hit back straight away with Aaron Walsh smashing in an instant equaliser.

The Lakeview Park men went on to establish a three-goal cushion before the break through two goals by Warner Mullan and one from Jamie Rea

Daniel Ryan scored Loughall's fifth after the break before Guillaume Keke netted Larne's second.

Three red cards and four penalties

Three players were sent-off and four penalties awarded in the match which saw Pat McAllister's Sport and Leisure Swifts beat Institute 3-2 after extra-time.

Garbhan Friel put Institute ahead from the spot but he was then sent-off for a high tackle on Declan Moore.

Ciaran Harkin made it 2-0 by following up when his penalty was saved by Swifts keeper Micheal Magill.

Goals in the second half by Conor Glenholme and Darren Gallagher sent the game to extra-time.

Institute got their third penalty of the match when keeper Magill fouled Gareth Brown, but before it could be taken there was a mass brawl which ended up with Sport and Leisure's Gavin Johnston and Ciaran Harkin of Institute getting red cards.

Like this? Read these...
Bates heads Linfield through in cup
Ports face Coleraine in sixth round
Photos from fifth round of the Irish Cup

Robbie Hume failed to convert the penalty for 'Stute and it was a spot-kick in the second period of extra-time by Kevin Lynch which earned victory for the Championship Two side.

PSNI won 2-0 away to Tobermore United thanks to goals by Kyle Agnew and Mark Anderson.

Former Portadown duo Joshua Barton and Aaron Haire were on target as Lurgan Celtic had a 2-1 home win over Bangor whose scorer was Barry Walsh.

A late goal by Stephen Brown saw Crumlin Star go through with a 3-2 home win over Oxford United Stars.

Ciaran Murphy's two goals had put Amateur League Premier side Crumlin 2-0 up.

But Kyle Curran replied with two to level for the team from the Intermediate League.

Tennents Irish Cup fifth round results
Banbridge Town0-2Carrick Rangers
Crumlin Star3-2Oxford United Stars
H&W Welders1-4Glenavon
Lurgan Celtic2-1Bangor
Sport & Leisure3-2 aetInstitute
Tobermore Utd0-2PSNI
Armagh City2-2 (4-1 on pens)Portstewart
Coleraine2-2 (4-3 on pens)Ballinamallard United
Crusaders3-0Rathfriland Rangers
Dungannon Swifts4-3Warrenpoint Town
Linfield2-1 aetBallymena United

Top Stories