Newcastle have signed midfielder Henri Saivet from Bordeaux on a five-and-a-half-year deal for an undisclosed fee.
Saivet, 25, helped the French club win Ligue 1 in 2009 and played for Senegal at the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.
He made 178 appearances for Bordeaux in all competitions, scoring 23 goals.
"Henri is someone the club have been watching for a while and he has developed into an excellent player at Bordeaux," Newcastle boss Steve McClaren told the club's website.
Saivet said: "I am really proud to be able to play for this club, and I am really excited at the challenge that lies ahead."
Meanwhile, McClaren was reluctant to discuss a possible deal for Swansea's England midfielder Jonjo Shelvey.
He said: "He's one of 100 names we're being linked with. I can't comment until they're through the door."
McClaren's Magpies were knocked out of the FA Cup by Watford on Saturday, failing to score and losing 1-0 for the fourth game in succession, and he is keen to strengthen his squad.
Deals with clubs and players are sourced and negotiated by a transfer committee at St James' Park.
"That's going on behind the scenes quietly," McClaren told BBC Newcastle.
"However, my focus is on this week and the team, Tuesday's league game against Manchester United."
Only Swansea (17) and bottom side Aston Villa (16) have scored fewer goals than Newcastle's 19 in the Premier League so far, while their four wins are the joint-second fewest in the division.
Recent performances have been more encouraging, although it is scoring goals that remains McClaren's major concern.
"We've had two disappointing performances, Leicester and Crystal Palace, but since then the attitude has been fantastic, we've scored goals and won games, but the last four we haven't scored goals," he added.
"I can understand everyone is frustrated and angry, we have to be patient, we have to use our experience."
Find all the latest football transfers on our dedicated page.