Outgoing Fifa president Sepp Blatter says he will not return to football - even if his six-year ban is overturned.
The Swiss, 79, is appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport after he was barred for a "disloyal payment" to suspended Uefa leader Michel Platini.
Both men deny any wrongdoing.
Speaking on the eve of Friday's vote to elect his successor as head of football's world governing body, Blatter said: "Enough is enough. I will always be a president."
|More on the Fifa election|
|Fifa presidential election: Key questions answered|
|Dan Roan: Election does not mean Fifa will change|
|Meet the five candidates|
|Watch: The Fifa corruption crisis explained|
Fifa's 207 member nations will choose a new president in Zurich, Switzerland.
In charge since 1998, Blatter had already announced he was quitting amid a corruption crisis.
Five candidates want to replace him - Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa, Gianni Infantino, Prince Ali bin al-Hussein, Tokyo Sexwale and Jerome Champagne.
Blatter, under criminal investigation by Swiss authorities for corruption, told the New York Times he had been treated like "the last of the gangsters in the world" and said his ban was "not logical".
Blatter has not backed any of the candidates and said he will monitor the election in private.
Asked about the legacy of his 18-year tenure, Blatter claimed he will be remembered for making football loved across the world.
He pointed to the Paris attacks in November, in which bombs were let off outside the Stade de France as part of a co-ordinated attack across the French capital which killed 130 people and left more than 100 injured.
Blatter referred to the two explosions being "only outside the stadium" and added: "So far, all these outlaw groups, they have never attacked football because they know and they feel that football is for everybody.
"And no footballers have been killed while playing. I think football is something that puts people together that gives them hope."