Matt Bloomfield: Wycombe midfielder played on with broken arm at York

By Matt BloomfieldWycombe Wanderers midfielder
Matt Bloomfield
Matt Bloomfield's 88th-minute leveller at York was his first goal of the season

I have been involved in some incident-packed match days and seen most things during close to 12 and a half years at Wycombe Wanderers, but breaking my arm while scoring in Saturday's game at York City was a new one - even for me.

Training has been fairly intermittent for me recently due to a torn ligament in my big toe after blocking a shot at Accrington a few weeks ago. Painkillers and anti-inflammatory tablets have been a necessity to continue my season, so I totally understood the manager's decision for me not to start the game.

The game against AFC Wimbledon the week before had been disappointing, and playing through injury is tough enough, but when results go against you it magnifies any weakness that you have.

'I just had to grit my teeth and get on with it'

We were 1-0 down at York when I got the call to go on. Coming on at that scoreline is obviously the scenario where you are desperate to help your team score the equaliser.

I had scored a few during the week in training, so I had a positive mindset when I entered the field of play.

Anthony Stewart hit a shot from just inside York's penalty area and I took a chance on the goalkeeper palming it towards me. Thankfully that was what happened and I was able to dive at the ball and head it in for the equaliser.

At the same time, a York defender tried to volley the ball clear but I was able to get there first. Unfortunately for me, the York defender connected with my arm instead of the ball and a further twist is that the player in question, Dave Winfield, is a really good friend of mine.

Dave Winfield
Friend or foe? Dave Winfield was Bloomfield's team-mate at Wycombe between 2010 and 2013

Midway through the celebration I suddenly realised that my arm was extremely painful. I tried not to give it too much thought, though, as the only thing I could think about was not losing the point that we had just earned for ourselves. There was also the chance that we might be able to snatch a late winner.

The pain was starting to really intensify but we had used all of our substitutes, so the option of going off had been taken away.

There was no way that I was going to leave my team-mates with 10 men whilst I was still able to run so I just had to grit my teeth and get on with it.

Plus, although it was extremely painful, I did not realise that it was broken and the last thing I wanted to do was walk off with a bruised arm!

I was so relieved when the referee blew the final whistle and I could not wait to get off the pitch.

No hard feelings

I headed straight for the Royal Berkshire Hospital as soon as we got back and left there at four o'clock in the morning with my arm in a cast. I had broken the ulna bone in my right arm and it might have finished my season.

I spoke to Dave both after the game and again on Sunday. He feels bad but we are adults playing a contact sport and these things happen. He did not mean for it to happen.

I am now fairly useless at home as I am unable to help my wife with my daughter. I hate not being independent so it is driving me mad. Missing games at this time of the season is going to be horrible - it is bad enough at any time, but especially during the run-in.

Finally, I would like to congratulate Northampton on their promotion to League One. In Ricky Holmes, they have one of the players of the season and someone I put into my team of the year. Northampton are the best team that we have played and fully deserve their promotion.

Top Stories

Elsewhere on the BBC