Scottish Youth Cup final: Hearts 2-5 Motherwell

By Andrew SouthwickBBC Scotland at Hampden
Robbie Leitch scores for Motherwell against Hearts
Robbie Leitch (third from left) scored the pick of Motherwell's goals

Motherwell lifted their first ever Scottish Youth Cup with a thrilling win over Hearts at Hampden.

Dylan Mackin put Well ahead and Chris Cadden's driven ball was diverted into the net by Daniel Baur before Jordan McGhee's free-kick gave Hearts hope.

David Ferguson got the Steelmen's third and Dario Zanatta again reduced the deficit, but Robbie Leitch restored the two-goal lead with a superb finish.

And Dylan Falconer raced through in added time to put the seal on the win.

Both sides named players with first-team experience and it was the capital side - tournament winners on three occasions - who started as favourites.

After an uneventful opening Motherwell broke the deadlock on 21 minutes, capitalising on a mistake by Hearts goalkeeper Kelby Mason.

Motherwell players celebrating with the Scottish Youth Cup
Motherwell's youth team made history at Hampden

A free-kick was played into the six-yard box that Mason failed to hold and Mackin fired the loose ball home.

Hearts passed up a golden opportunity to level when Liam Smith's low cross was misjudged by the Motherwell defence.

Zanatta could not connect, but it looked like Russell McLean would finish at the back post, only to smack the ball into the side netting.

And they were made to pay when Motherwell doubled their advantage seven minutes before the break, Baur deflecting Cadden's ball past his own goalkeeper.

Hearts had to score next and they did; McGhee's set piece from the edge of the box finding the bottom right corner.

Motherwell always looked the more dangerous, though, and after David Turnbull had a shot deflected over, the Steelmen restored their two-goal advantage from the corner.

Ross MacLean ducked low to direct a header on target and Mason parried into the path of Ferguson, who blasted into the roof of the net.

Motherwell players celebrating
David Ferguson (centre) netted the Steelmen's third

Hearts again responded. Long's short goal-kick put his defender under pressure and Canadian Zanatta stole possession, rounded the goalkeeper and knocked into the net.

He would fire over shortly after but, at the other end, a dramatic entrance from substitute Leitch would all but clinch the trophy.

After Mason had first denied him with a fine save, Leitch made no mistake with a cute curling ball into the right corner.

And Falconer put the icing on the cake when he raced clear of the Hearts defence to make it five.

Hearts: Mason, Smith, Henderson, Baur, McGhee, Beith (McKirdy 82), Morrison (MacDonald 67), Buchanan, McLean, Zantta, Moore (Roy 77). Subs: Easton, Jones.

Motherwell: Long, Watt, McMillan, Ferguson, Hall, Campbell, MacLean (Hastie 90), Turnbull (Leitch 71), Mackin (Falconer 77) Thomas, Cadden. Subs: Morrison, Livingston.

Referee: Stewart Luke

Attendance: 2,769