Motherwell turn down offer from Australia for Scott McDonald
Motherwell have rejected an offer from an Australian A-League club for striker Scott McDonald.
McDonald signed a new one-year deal to remain at Fir Park earlier this month after scoring 14 goals last season.
"Scott is an extremely important part of our plans as we believe he is one of the very best strikers in the country," said Motherwell manager Mark McGhee.
"It's obvious Scott has a deep affinity for the club and wants to try to help us in this new season."
McDonald moved to Fir Park for a second time in February 2015 after spells in England with Middlesbrough and Millwall. His first stint at Motherwell was followed by a successful spell at Celtic, where he won a league title and a League Cup.
McGhee says the club were surprised to receive the bid for the striker given he only signed a new deal three weeks ago.
"Alan Burrows (Motherwell CEO) and I chatted with the player for some time on Wednesday and there was a lot of common ground," McGhee added in a statement on the club's website.
"The actual interest came fairly out the blue and the prospect of a return home is obviously intriguing for anyone in that scenario, however, it was also clear he still feels there is unfinished business in the SPFL, which was great for us.
"That meant, when an official did eventually come in during the night, it was a fairly simple one for us to politely reject."