Saturday's League One reports

AFC Wimbledon 0-0 Swindon

AFC Wimbledon's Lyle Taylor saw a first-half penalty saved as Swindon Town earned a goalless League One draw at Kingsmeadow.

Off the back of three wins in nine days, the atmosphere was one of huge excitement as in-form Wimbledon took on the struggling Robins.

And while they stretched their unbeaten run in all competitions to seven games, the Dons were unable to get all three points, with Taylor's missed penalty the best chance of a tame game.

The contest came to life on the half-hour mark when Swindon's Conor Thomas was adjudged to have tripped Tom Elliott in the box.

The visitors were incensed by the decision as it looked as though Elliott had deceived referee John Busby and his assistant with a dive - Yaser Kasim receiving a caution for his protests.

But the Robins felt as though justice was done when Taylor's low spot-kick was brilliantly saved by Swindon goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux.

The best chance of a quiet second half fell to Thomas in the 74th minute as the centre-back poked a shot narrowly wide following a free-kick that was not properly cleared.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Bolton 2-0 Oldham

Zach Clough's first goals since 23 April earned high-flying Bolton a League One derby win to keep Oldham rooted in the bottom four.

Clough curled in a stunning free-kick from 18 yards after 10 minutes following Paul Green's foul on Sammy Ameobi.

And he secured Wanderers' first-ever win over their neighbours at the Macron Stadium 13 minutes from time after Carl Winchester cleared Ameobi's first effort off the line.

Phil Parkinson's side, who have now won their last three games without conceding a goal, were good value for the three points.

Ameobi wasted a first-half one-on-one with Connor Ripley while the Latics keeper saved brilliantly to turn away a David Wheater header.

Steve Robinson's visitors played their part in a lively first league meeting in 19 years and Mark Howard smartly turned aside Lee Erwin's 34th-minute effort.

Lively Winchester flashed a hat-trick of shots over the crossbar in 18 second-half minutes while Howard made a decisive block after Green beat the offside trap.

But it was Clough's finishing skills that prevailed to keep Wanderers firmly in the play-off places.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Bristol Rovers 2-1 Gillingham

Substitute Ellis Harrison volleyed an 90th-minute winner as Bristol Rovers came from behind to beat Gillingham in a competitive League One clash at the Memorial Stadium.

The striker met a left-wing cross from fellow replacement Cristian Montano at the far post and hammered a right-footed shot in off goalkeeper Jonathan Bond from the corner of the six-yard box.

Gillingham had taken a 62nd-minute lead when Rovers failed to defend a long throw from the right and Josh Wright popped up unmarked at the far post to fire low past Kelle Roos.

Man of the match Chris Lines grabbed an 82nd-minute equaliser, exchanging passes with Matt Taylor and breaking through the middle before coolly shooting past Bond.

A drab first half saw Rovers go closest after 21 minutes when a good move involving Charlie Colkett and Taylor ended with Stuart Sinclair firing wide of the near post.

Gillingham defended well, but were unable to create much going forward, despite some promising approach play often inspired by the industrious Bradley Dack.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Charlton 3-0 Coventry

Charlton picked up their first win in nearly two months after thrashing Coventry at The Valley.

Goals by Ricky Holmes, Ademola Lookman and Josh Magennis saw off the Sky Blues, who remain bottom of League One.

Charlton and Coventry fans marched to the ground together in a pre-match protest against their respective owners, Roland Duchatelet and Sisu.

As soon as the game kicked off, there was a six-minute stoppage in play after home and away supporters threw thousands of toy pigs onto the pitch.

Both teams hit the woodwork in the first half, but it was Charlton who took the lead when Fredrik Ulvestad's lobbed pass found Holmes, who poked the ball home in the 32nd minute.

Charlton goalkeeper Declan Rudd made a sublime double save early in the second half when he stopped Andre Wright's effort and then got back up to push Chris McCann's header away from goal.

The game was over with 12 minutes to go after Magennis unselfishly squared the ball to Lookman, who fired past Lee Burge.

The Northern Ireland international grabbed himself a goal in the 88th minute when he chipped the ball over the helpless Coventry stopper to seal Charlton's first league win since 20 August.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Fleetwood 2-0 Peterborough

Jack Sowerby bagged his first Football League goal to get Fleetwood off to a flying start in their home win over Peterborough.

Posh, who lost top scorer Marcus Maddison just before the game through illness, were behind after just three minutes as two of Fleetwood's non-league captures made their mark.

Ash Hunter's pass split the defence and Sowerby, signed from North West Counties side Squires Gate, raced in with a cool finish.

Fleetwood might have extended their lead before the half hour when former Peterborough man David Ball was released down the right and Hunter was just inches away from connecting with his cross.

Ball then had a curling free-kick tipped over the crossbar by Luke McGee as Fleetwood pressed for a second.

Shaq Coulthirst - a trialist with Fleetwood last term - went closest to levelling things for Posh before the break.

Leonardo Da Silva Lopes slipped the shackles of his marker before Coulthurst turned in the box but fired over the angle.

Fleetwood continued to dominate after the break but a mistake nearly proved costly when Coulthirst slipped between two defenders and fired against the palms of Chris Neal.

Centre-back Ashley Eastham almost made pressure count at the other end as his point-blank header was blocked on the line by Ryan Tafazolli.

The defender was at fault moments later when Fleetwood finally stretched their lead.

He was turned too easily by Devante Cole, who swung a 45-yard cross from the right flank and Bobby Grant slid in at the back post to complete the move in spectacular fashion.

Cole could have had one for himself with 15 minutes remaining, sauntering on to Ball's pass before rattling the woodwork.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Northampton 1-3 Millwall

Struggling Millwall halted their run of four straight defeats with a timely victory at 10-man Northampton.

Both sides had early chances as Jak McCourt fired just wide for the hosts while Steve Morison went close against his former club with an audacious 40-yard chip which went just over.

The best chances came from set-pieces in a first half littered with free-kicks. Shaun Williams tested Adam Smith with a long range free-kick and Northampton's Alex Revell fired over from 30 yards.

But Millwall broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute when Shaun Williams released Lee Gregory, who held off Zander Diamond before racing into the box and lifting the ball over Smith.

After the restart, home substitute Sam Hoskins was denied by Jordan Archer, who then tipped McCourt's 25-yard drive onto the bar.

In between, Morison volleyed wide before Cobblers were reduced to 10 men when McCourt got a second caution for bringing down Fred Onyedinma.

JJ Hooper's glancing header was saved by Archer before Calum Butcher doubled Millwall's lead on the hour mark, taking advantage of a slip by Brendan Moloney to beat the stranded Smith.

Morison was denied by Smith and Gregory's shot was deflected over. In between, David Buchanan twice fired over for Cobblers and Revell failed to direct his header on target.

Substitute Marc Richards reduced the arrears in the 80th minute, heading home a cross from Hoskins, but Morison put the game beyond doubt in the 89th minute when he latched on to a long clearance to lob the advancing Smith.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Oxford United 1-0 Bradford City

Bradford lost their record as the country's only unbeaten side in all competitions after going down to a very late goal at Oxford.

Chris Maguire struck a brilliant free-kick from 23 yards in stoppage time to give the U's victory.

The Bantams, who had been undefeated in their first 15 games of the campaign, stay second in League One but they will be cursing Billy Clarke's penalty miss in the 21st minute.

Charlie Raglan tripped Timothee Dieng to concede the spot-kick, but Clarke smashed the penalty against the crossbar.

Before that, Maguire twice went close for the U's, with City keeper Colin Doyle pushing aside his 15-yard volley, and later saving the striker's header.

Bradford then began to control possession and Jordy Hiwula should have done better than sky a volley from 10 yards out.

Simon Eastwood saved at the feet of Clarke as the visitors continued to create opportunities.

Hiwula missed badly from four yards out in the second half before Oxford began to look dangerous.

Ryan Taylor had an effort saved and Chey Dunkley saw his header from a corner blocked on the goal line.

Just as the game entered second-half stoppage time, the referee penalised Romain Vincelot for pulling John Lundstram's shirt, and Maguire curled in the free-kick for his seventh goal of the season.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Rochdale 2-0 Bury

Rochdale made it six successive League One wins with a derby triumph against neighbours Bury.

Goals either side of the break from Ian Henderson and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing clinched the win for the home side in what was at times a bad-tempered affair as Bury finished with nine men.

Neil Danns went close for Bury with a header towards Josh Lillis' near post but the Dale goalkeeper parried the effort.

The home side landed the first telling blow in the 38th minute with the award of a penalty as Matt Lund cleverly worked his way inside Jacob Mellis and went down, with Ian Henderson duly despatching the penalty to hand Dale the lead.

Bury striker James Vaughan had the ball in the net on the hour mark but was flagged offside and it was Rochdale who scored the second goal of the game when Mendez-Laing collected Andy Cannon's pass and fired beyond Williams on 75 minutes.

Kean Bryan was dismissed for a rash challenge on Cannon soon after, sparking a bout of pushing and shoving from both teams, and Mellis followed him off for a foul on Calvin Andrew.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Scunthorpe 2-1 MK Dons

Super-sub Paddy Madden scored twice as leaders Scunthorpe fought back from behind to beat MK Dons.

He transformed the game after the visitors threatened a fifth away win after coming off the bench on the hour as part of a double change which also brought on Kevin Van Veen.

The two made an almost instant impact, combining for the 66th-minute equaliser.

Van Veen found room in the box to get in a shot that keeper David Martin could not hold and Madden raced in to apply the finishing touch from close range.

He then fired Scunthorpe in front in the 81st minute, sweeping his shot low into the bottom far corner from an inviting low cross from the right by Josh Morris.

The home side had started on the front foot and were almost gifted a second-minute lead when Martin fumbled a shot from Duane Holmes against his own crossbar.

Martin was the central figure again in the 11th minute when the home side had strong appeals for a penalty turned down when striker Tom Hopper appeared to be floored in the box by a high challenge from the keeper.

MK Dons, with one of the best away records in the Football League, weathered the early storm and snatched a 37th-minute lead when poor defending down Scunthorpe's right flank freed Ben Reeves to deliver a low cross into the box which was turned home by striker Kieran Agard.

They comfortably held that lead until Madden and Van Veen changed the game.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Sheffield United 4-0 Port Vale

Ethan Ebanks-Landell scored twice as Sheffield United extended their unbeaten League One run to eight games with a comfortable victory over Port Vale.

Jack O'Connell went close with a chance for the hosts early on, meeting Mark Duffy's free-kick with a glancing header which went just beyond the far post.

Vale's Sam Foley shot wide from distance and Anthony Grant was blocked in the area.

United went ahead in the 23rd minute when John Fleck's corner was met by on-loan defender Ebanks-Landell who found the net with a firm, far-post header.

The second goal came in the final minute of the half when Ebanks-Landell hammered the ball into the net after the Vale defence failed to clear.

Duffy made it 3-0 with 62 minutes played, pouncing on the rebound to score after Billy Sharp had a shot blocked on the line.

Vale's Alex Jones was denied by a good save from Simon Moore late on before Blades substitute Stefan Scougall rounded off the scoring with a close-range header six minutes from time.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Southend 1-0 Chesterfield

Adam Thompson scored his first goal of the season as Southend clung on to a narrow League One win over struggling Chesterfield.

Chesterfield striker Ched Evans, who is still recovering from a foot injury, was not in the squad and did not attend the match at Roots Hall after he was found not guilty on Friday of a rape charge.

Thompson's first-half strike meant Southend move up to 19th and have won five of their last six matches at home, while Chesterfield drop to 21st.

The winner came in the 29th minute after Chesterfield failed to clear a corner and the ball fell to Thompson, who smashed home from 10 yards.

Chesterfield could have levelled soon after when Kristian Dennis nipped in behind the Shrimpers defence but his lifted finish was saved by Southend goalkeeper Mark Oxley.

The hosts dominated the early part of the second half, but Nile Ranger and Simon Cox both squandered excellent opportunities.

Chesterfield substitute Ricky German almost made them pay, but his close-range effort was scrambled off the line and Southend held on for a much-needed victory.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Walsall 3-2 Shrewsbury

Walsall piled the misery on managerless Shrewsbury as Erhun Oztumer's late winner settled a bad-tempered game in the Saddlers' favour.

The hosts went ahead in the 23rd minute, Amadou Bakayoko drilling his first league goal past Jayson Leutwiler from Oztumer's fine through ball.

Shrewsbury levelled on the half hour as former Walsall player Oliver Lancashire looped home a header from Ian Black's free-kick.

The Saddlers regained the lead three minutes before half-time, Kieron Morris bundling home Joe Edwards' cross from inside the six-yard box.

Oztumer should have sealed the points 10 minutes into the second half, but fired wide when one-on-one with Leutwiler.

And the Shrews levelled in the 58th minute as Walsall goalkeeper Neil Etheridge missed his punch from a corner and Junior Brown bundled home from close range.

Shrewsbury were then denied a goal and a penalty by the linesman as both an Andy Mangan strike and a foul on George Waring in the box by James O'Connor were cancelled out by offside flags.

The visitors went down to 10 men after 65 minutes as Ryan McGivern received a second yellow card for an off-the-ball clash with Bakayoko.

And Walsall won it two minutes from time as Oztumer's corner crept in direct at the near post, although they also ended with 10 men as Bakayoko saw a second yellow for his celebrations.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Top Stories