Match ends, Borussia Dortmund 8, Legia Warsaw 4.
Borussia Dortmund beat Legia Warsaw 8-4 in the highest-scoring Champions League game in history.
The 12 goals scored at the Westfalenstadion on Tuesday surpassed Monaco's 8-3 win over Deportivo La Coruna in 2003.
There were seven goals in 22 first-half minutes, and Marco Reus scored twice on his return from six months out.
Polish champions Legia became the first side to score four goals in a Champions League match and lose.
A record-breaking evening
- It is the first time in Champions League history that eight players scored in a single match.
- Dortmund became the fourth team after Liverpool, Monaco and Real Madrid to score eight goals in a Champions League fixture.
- It was the first match in any European competition with 12 goals since Ajax defeated Luxembourg's Red Boys Differdange 14-0 in the old Uefa Cup on 3 October 1984.
- Only one match in the history of the European Cup and Champions League has had more goals - that was when Dutch side Feyenoord beat KR of Iceland 12-2 in September 1969.
- Dortmund have now scored 14 goals against Legia this season - the most by any team against a single opponent in one Champions League campaign.
- Shinji Kagawa - once of Manchester United - scored two goals in just 76 seconds, the fastest double in Champions League history.
'Perfect comeback' for Reus
Dortmund captain Marco Reus celebrated his return after six months out with goals in the 32nd and 52nd minutes, while his shot was deflected by Legia's Jakub Rzezniczak into his own net in the 92nd minute.
"I was just happy to be there from the start," said Reus, who missed the 2014 World Cup and Euro 2016 because of injury.
"It is how you imagine your perfect comeback. I waited a long time for this and so it is even sweeter. The ball will be signed by everyone and will go on the shelf."
How the record breaking unfolded
Eins - Legia in the lead
Zwei - but they don't lead for long
Drei - the Germans take the lead
Vier - and then they go further in front
Funf - but Legia strike back
Sechs - it's now 4-2, do keep up
Sieben - Reus joins the party
Acht - and then scores another one
Neun - comeback time?
Zehn - we've hit double figures
Elf - been a long night lads?
Zwolf - it finishes 8-4
- 28GinterBooked at 88mins
- 5BartraSubstituted forDurmat 62'minutes
- 8SahinSubstituted forAubameyangat 70'minutes
- 7DembéléSubstituted forSchürrleat 72'minutes
- 2PazdanBooked at 63mins
- 6Costa MarquesSubstituted forJodlowiecat 55'minutes
- 8Odjidja-OfoeBooked at 61minsSubstituted forNikolicat 75'minutes
- 99PrijovicSubstituted forWieteskaat 69'minutes
- Martin Strömbergsson
- Shots on Target
Second Half ends, Borussia Dortmund 8, Legia Warsaw 4.
Own Goal by Jakub Rzezniczak, Legia Warsaw. Borussia Dortmund 8, Legia Warsaw 4.
Attempt missed. Michal Kucharczyk (Legia Warsaw) right footed shot from outside the box misses to the right. Assisted by Jakub Rzezniczak.
Offside, Legia Warsaw. Tomasz Jodlowiec tries a through ball, but Michal Kucharczyk is caught offside.
Attempt blocked. André Schürrle (Borussia Dortmund) right footed shot from outside the box is blocked. Assisted by Marco Reus.
Corner, Borussia Dortmund. Conceded by Radoslaw Cierzniak.
Attempt saved. Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund) left footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the centre of the goal. Assisted by Gonzalo Castro.
Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund) wins a free kick on the right wing.
Foul by Jakub Rzezniczak (Legia Warsaw).
Matthias Ginter (Borussia Dortmund) is shown the yellow card.
Foul by Matthias Ginter (Borussia Dortmund).
Miroslav Radovic (Legia Warsaw) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Attempt blocked. Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund) left footed shot from outside the box is blocked. Assisted by Gonzalo Castro.
Offside, Legia Warsaw. Michal Kucharczyk tries a through ball, but Nemanja Nikolic is caught offside.
Goal! Borussia Dortmund 7, Legia Warsaw 4. Nemanja Nikolic (Legia Warsaw) right footed shot from a difficult angle on the right to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Miroslav Radovic.
Foul by Erik Durm (Borussia Dortmund).
Bartosz Bereszynski (Legia Warsaw) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Goal! Borussia Dortmund 7, Legia Warsaw 3. Felix Passlack (Borussia Dortmund) header from the centre of the box to the bottom right corner following a fast break.
Attempt saved. André Schürrle (Borussia Dortmund) right footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the centre of the goal. Assisted by Christian Pulisic.