Saturday's League Two reports

Accrington 2-0 Notts County

Loan players Harvey Rodgers and Noor Husin secured Accrington a home win over Notts County in their League Two relegation battle.

Defender Rodgers, on loan from Hull, headed home on 45 minutes, while substitute Husin, who signed from Crystal Palace on Tuesday, had an easy tap-in to secure a vital three points for Stanley and plunge Kevin Nolan's side deeper into trouble.

The first chance fell to County striker Jon Stead when he raced free onto a ball forward, beat keeper Marek Rodak and fired goalwards only for Mark Hughes to scramble the ball out for a corner.

Stanley then had two good chances but were denied both times by the fingertips of goalkeeper Adam Collin.

He spectacularly kept out a long-range Sean Clare strike and minutes later he prevented an own goal as Richard Duffy got to the ball first in a challenge with Billy Kee.

The Reds took the lead just before the break when Sean McConville got the ball on the left and floated in a cross which Rodgers headed home from close range for his first Stanley goal.

County pressed at the start of the second half with Adam Campbell's low drive blocked from their best chance.

Rommy Boco could have increased Stanley's lead but was once again denied by Collin at the near post, while Kee's fierce strike was well held by the goalkeeper.

Former Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi came on for the Magpies on 69 minutes after signing a short-term deal, but it was Stanley who had the final say on 80 minutes.

Substitute Jonny Edwards charged forward, forcing a good save out of Collin but he could only push it out to Husin who tapped home on debut to give Stanley their first home league win since October.

Report supplied by the Press Association

Barnet 0-2 Mansfield Town

Ben Whiteman scored for the second week in a row as Mansfield moved to within two points of the League Two play-off places with a comfortable victory at Barnet.

The Stags struck in each half as they leapfrogged their opponents in the table and are now breathing down the necks of seventh-placed Portsmouth after an accomplished display at The Hive.

Whiteman came within a whisker of opening the scoring for Mansfield when his low shot across goal struck the inside of the post and somehow did not roll in.

Jake Kean bravely beat John Akinde to the ball to head a long punt clear before the goalkeeper made a good save with his legs to deny Barnet's Jamal Campbell-Ryce.

The Stags then took the lead on 36 minutes when Whiteman produced a clean finish from the edge of the area from Shaq Coulthirst's lay-off.

The visitors were then awarded a penalty just before the hour mark when Ricardo Santos tripped Coulthirst, who calmly stroked his effort down the middle to give his side an unassailable lead.

Report supplied by the Press Association

Blackpool 1-1 Colchester

Blackpool's winless run was extended to five games as they were held at home by fellow League Two play-off chasers Colchester.

The Seasiders struck with the first real chance after 12 minutes as Nathan Delfouneso jinked past his man and delivered a pinpoint chip into the area, where Jamille Matt turned the ball home from three yards.

Blackpool goalkeeper Sam Slocombe denied Matthew Briggs with a sensational save to push the ball behind after 17 minutes, but the visitors did equalise from the resulting corner as Kurtis Guthrie prodded in from close range after a goalmouth scramble.

Somehow, Colchester failed to re-take the lead on the stroke of half-time as Slocombe produced a brilliant save from George Elokobi's close-range effort, before Guthrie headed against the bar from two yards.

Blackpool should have clinched the win 15 minutes from time, as Tom Aldred was found unmarked from a corner, but he headed wide from eight yards.

Colchester finished the game with 10 men, after substitute Sean Murray was shown a straight red for a bad tackle on Jim McAlister in injury time.

Report supplied by the Press Association

Cambridge United 0-1 Plymouth

Antoni Sarcevic scored on his first Plymouth start to earn them victory at Cambridge.

The Pilgrims had to survive an early U's onslaught, with Ben Williamson's goal-bound header deflected wide and debutant Liam O'Neil's shot looping onto the top of the bar.

At the other end both Sarcevic and Matthew Kennedy were denied by excellent Will Norris saves, and Graham Carey headed over from Kennedy's cross.

They were ahead four minutes before half-time when Sarcevic powered a header into the corner following Carey's cross.

Cambridge could have been level on the stroke of half-time when Carey's clearance on the line kept out Scott Wharton's header from Piero Mingoia's corner.

The home side pressed hard in the second half, with Luke McCormick called upon 20 minutes from the end to parry away Paul Lewis' header moments after the midfielder had arrived from the bench.

They almost drew level nine minutes from the end when Wharton was again denied from a corner, seeing his header cleared off the line by David Fox.

Reports supplied by the Press Association

Cheltenham 1-1 Newport County

Newport County boosted their League Two survival hopes with a last-gasp equaliser at Cheltenham Town.

Kyle Wootton looked to have won it for the hosts, turning home after Dan Holman hit the angle of post and bar.

But Jaanai Gordon levelled for Newport in the third minute of injury time to make it four unbeaten for the Exiles.

Neither side could make inroads in a cagey first half, with Newport coming the closest with shots from striker Ryan Bird and defender Sid Nelson.

Newport remain bottom of League Two, while Cheltenham are 20th.

Crawley 1-2 Stevenage

Matt Godden hit a dramatic stoppage-time winner as Stevenage came from behind to clinch victory at Crawley.

Leading scorer James Collins put Crawley on course for a fifth successive home win with a first-half penalty, his 14th league goal of the season.

But Godden levelled in the 76th minute and then pounced to settle the issue with his second goal in the fifth minute of added time.

Crawley, who have scored in every home game bar one this season, had an early let-off when goalkeeper Glenn Morris saved at the feet of the on-rushing Ben Kennedy.

The hosts broke the deadlock after 28 minutes when Collins scored for the sixth home game, converting from the penalty spot after being brought down by Luke Wilkinson.

Godden put the ball over from a good position for Stevenage before Dean Cox fired wide for the hosts, and Kennedy was again denied by Morris after Godden seized on a defensive lapse by Joe McNerney.

Crawley forward Enzio Boldewijn should have tested keeper Jamie Jones after 63 minutes but fired over following a cross from Cox.

Stevenage midfielder Tom Pett threatened to bring his side level following a strong run, but his low shot was parried by Morris.

Boro levelled through a close-range shot from Godden after a deflected effort by substitute Josh McQuoid, and his 13th league goal of the season snatched all three points.

Report supplied by the Press Association

Doncaster Rovers 1-1 Morecambe

League Two leaders Doncaster failed to win for the first time in 2017 after being held to a draw by battling Morecambe.

Lacking their usual high tempo, Rovers were made to work by a Morecambe outfit full of industry and endeavour.

Peter Murphy put the visitors in front before in-form John Marquis levelled after the break.

Both sides had goals ruled out for offside in the early stages, with Andy Williams and Michael Rose netting for the hosts and visitors respectively.

There was no doubt as Morecambe took a surprise lead after 24 minutes. A scruffy first touch for skipper Murphy worked in his favour, presenting him with space to curl a fine effort past Ian Lawlor.

Doncaster emerged for the second half with more urgency and James Coppinger curled wide from 20 yards before Conor Grant clipped a free-kick over the crossbar.

Rovers finally levelled after 56 minutes when Marquis deftly side-footed home from 12 yards.

Doncaster looked the more likely to grab a winner and Marquis drilled wide from 25 yards with their best effort, but Lawlor had to be alert to keep out a late shot from substitute Rhys Turner to keep the scores level.

Report supplied by the Press Association

Exeter City 4-0 Crewe Alexandra

Exeter City made it 12 games unbeaten with a ruthless demolition of 10-man Crewe at St James' Park.

They went in front on eight minutes when a superb Lloyd James free-kick was headed back across goal and Jordan Moore-Taylor poked home the loose ball from close range.

The Grecians, who lost striker Reuben Reid in the warm-up, then saw Ollie Watkins limp off injured and as they struggled to regroup, George Cooper curled a long-range shot off the top of the crossbar for Crewe.

Exeter were indebted to Christy Pym, who made an astonishing double save to deny Cooper and keep their lead intact.

Two minutes later, it was 2-0 as David Wheeler headed in from close range from Liam McAlinden's 58th-minute cross to make it a club-record seven goals in seven successive matches.

Simpson laid the ball off to Wheeler and he drilled a brilliant 20-yard shot into the bottom corner for the third on 68 minutes.

Crewe's misery was compounded by a straight red card for substitute Charlie Kirk for an awful tackle on Exeter's Jake Taylor and on 86 minutes, James curled in the fourth from 25 yards.

Report supplied by the Press Association

Grimsby Town 1-1 Luton Town

James McKeown saved a stoppage-time penalty to earn Grimsby a point against Luton.

Chris Clements' opener was cancelled out by Isaac Vassell before, with the game into five added minutes, referee Mark Haywood pointed to the spot after Danny Collins handled in the box.

But after his dramatic return to the side following Dean Henderson's recall to Manchester United, Grimsby's long-serving keeper kept out Danny Hylton's spot-kick to preserve a share of the spoils.

After a tight, goalless first half, Luton re-started brightly, with Brandon Comley having to hack clear a low cross from on the line.

But just as the visitors were starting to step up a gear, Grimsby broke the deadlock when Ben Davies - after seeing an effort charged down - kept the move alive with a fine, hanging cross to the far post, where Clements powered his header home from close range.

However, the Hatters hit back when Pelly Ruddock nipped in at the corner and crossed into the area, where Vassell headed home despite McKeown's best efforts.

They looked to have sealed the victory when they were awarded their 95th-minute penalty, but McKeown was to prove Grimsby's saviour.

Report supplied by the Press Association

Hartlepool 1-1 Yeovil Town

Hartlepool were denied victory by one of their own as Yeovil earned a draw against Dave Jones' side.

Glovers midfielder Matty Dolan was born in Hartlepool and has spent two loan spells at the club.

But, presented with a second-half penalty to level the scores, he made no mistake, sending keeper Adam Bartlett the wrong way from 12 yards on 69 minutes.

The penalty came after Andrew Nelson, making his Pools debut after signing from Sunderland on loan, needlessly felled Francois Zoko in the area.

Hartlepool also gave a debut to Louis Rooney, signed from Plymouth, and he was lively up front, sending Padraig Amond clear early on to lob just over.

Rooney then skirted around keeper Artur Krysiak, but his angled finish was blocked by covering defender Darren Ward.

Pools took the lead on 64 minutes when Nelson's deep cross picked out Amond and he looped home a header from 16 yards for his 11th of the season.

After Dolan's leveller, he almost won it with a curling free-kick from 22 yards which Bartlett dived full-stretch to keep out.

Report supplied by the Press Association

Leyton Orient 1-2 Carlisle

Carlisle recorded their first win in six games as they beat Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road despite finishing the game with 10 men.

The relegation-threatened home side took a 25th-minute lead through Gavin Massey, but Gary Liddle levelled nine minutes later.

Jamie Proctor scored the winner on 68 minutes, but was then sent off 15 minutes from time.

The O's went in front when teenage goalkeeper Sam Sargeant, making his home league debut, sent a long clearance down the centre of the field and the ball sliced off the foot of a Carlisle defender into the path of Massey, who lashed the ball into the net from 20 yards.

The visitors restored parity when Jamie Devitt's free-kick thumped against the angle of the upright and the crossbar and the ball fell into the path of the unmarked Liddle, who had the simplest of tasks to steer the rebound into an empty net.

The Cumbrians, who had dictated matters after the break, went ahead when Nicky Adams delivered a superb cross from the left onto the head of substitute George Waring, whose shot was palmed away by Sargeant, but Proctor latched onto the loose ball to head it into the net.

Proctor's afternoon turned sour, though, when he was red-carded on 75 minutes following two bookings in three minutes for reckless tackles.

Despite being a man down, the visitors had little trouble in protecting their lead with the three points improving their automatic promotion hopes.

Report supplied by the Press Association

Wycombe Wanderers 1-0 Portsmouth

Scott Kashket notched his 15th goal of the season as Wycombe leapfrogged visitors Portsmouth to go sixth in the League Two table.

Kashket's deflected shot early in the second half was enough to settle the match at Adams Park despite a tense end to the game.

Jamal Lowe, making his first start for Pompey since his January move from Hampton & Richmond, was just inches away from opening his account with a smart left-footed strike just wide of the right-hand post.

But that was the best effort for Pompey, who suffered a frustrating afternoon at the hands of a well-drilled and professional Wycombe outfit.

Kashket netted the decisive goal with just three minutes played of the second half, though he needed a generous deflection to wrong-foot keeper David Forde, who could only watch helplessly as the ball trickled past him and into the bottom corner.

Despite an astonishing nine minutes of stoppage time played by referee Graham Salisbury, it was not enough for Pompey, who failed to create any notable openings for an equaliser as Wycombe ground out victory.

Report supplied by the Press Association

Top Stories