Scottish League Two: Forfar beat second-top Arbroath to extend lead

Forfar Athletic scorer Josh Peters
Josh Peters scored for Forfar in their top-of-the-table game

Forfar Athletic extended their lead at the top of Scottish League Two to 11 points after a 1-0 win over second-placed Arbroath at Gayfield Park.

Elgin City remain third but had their game at bottom side Cowdenbeath called off because of a waterlogged pitch.

Fourth-placed Annan Athletic were thumped 4-1 by Berwick Rangers.

Montrose moved to within a point of Annan with a 2-1 win over Stirling Albion, while Clyde stumbled again after a 0-0 draw with Edinburgh City.

The draw in Edinburgh means that Barry Ferguson's side have now gone nine league games without a victory and are five points behind the last promotion play-off place.

Forfar consolidated their position at the top with Josh Peters scoring the only goal of the match on 33 minutes when he latched on to Gavin Swankie's through ball to fire home.

It was the Loons' first league win over the Smokies in three attempts this season and means that Gary Bollan's side are unbeaten in their last nine league matches.

Steve Thomson scored a brace in six first-half minutes to put Berwick in control at home to Annan before Peter Weatherson reduced the arrears before the half-time interval.

Jordan Orru restored the two-goal cushion with a left-footed strike with three minutes remaining and Thomson completed his hat-trick in stoppage-time as Berwick jumped two places to seventh spot.

Montrose made it three wins on the bounce despite Blair Henderson putting the visiting Binos in front from the penalty spot after Kieran McWalter brought down Willie Robertson.

Chris Templeman levelled after he slammed in Andrew Steeves' through ball after the break before Graham Webster won all three points with a penalty of his own with nine minutes remaining.

There was still time for Stirling midfielder Calvin Colquhoun to receive his marching orders for two bookable offences.