2018 World Cup qualifier: Wales' previous Republic of Ireland encounters in Dublin

John O'Shea and Gareth Bale
John O'Shea and Gareth Bale in action during the Euro 2008 qualifier at Croke Park in March 2007
World Cup qualifier: Republic of Ireland v Wales
Date: Friday, 24 March Venue: Aviva Stadium, Dublin Kick-off: 19:45 GMT
Coverage: Live on BBC Radio Wales, BBC Radio Cymru & BBC Sport website and BBC Sport app, plus live text commentary.

Wales have faced the Republic of Ireland at five grounds in Dublin, including the Aviva Stadium before and after redevelopment, which is more than any other nation.

They won four of their first five encounters in Dublin but subsequently lost the next three games and have have not beaten them in 25 years.

BBC Wales Sport looks back at the previous meetings between the two countries in the Republic's fair city.

Republic of Ireland 2-3 Wales, September 1960

Wales and Ireland had first met in an international in February 1882 at the Racecourse Ground in Wrexham, with the home side securing and emphatic 7-1 win.

Following the partition of Ireland in 1920 and the creation of the Irish Free State two years later, a Dublin-based organisation calling itself the Football Association of the Irish Free State split from the Belfast-based IFA in 1921 and began organising its own league and national football team.

Cliff Jones
Cliff Jones was a member of Wales' 1958 World Cup squad

Fifa renamed the team from Ireland to Republic of Ireland in 1953 and seven years later they hosted Wales in a friendly at Dublin's Dalymount Park, home of Bohemian FC.

Wingers Cliff Jones and Terry Medwin, who would be part of Tottenham Hotspur's League and FA Cup double winning side later that season, were the architects of Wales' win.

Jones scored twice and Phil Woosnam, who later became Commissioner of the North American Soccer League, netted the winner while Fionan Fagan got the Republic's goals including a penalty.

Republic of Ireland 1-3 Wales, February 1981

Tony Grealish gave the home side the lead in the first senior international to be played at Tolka Park but Wales replied through goals from Paul Price and debutant Terry Boyle to lead at the interval.

Captain Terry Yorath, who later managed Wales, sealed the victory three minutes from time, scoring his second and what would be his final international goal.

Republic of Ireland 0-1 Wales, March 1986

Ian Rush in action against Ireland's Michael Robinson and Liam Brady
Ian Rush's winner at Lansdowne Road was his 12th international goal for Wales

Jack Charlton's appointment as Republic of Ireland manager heralded the start of an unprecedented era for the national side which included qualifying for the 1988 European Championships and the 1990 and 1994 World Cup finals.

But Charlton's first game in charge, which saw John Aldridge and Ray Houghton win first caps, ended in a friendly defeat against Wales at Lansdowne Road in March 1986.

Mike England's side, having missed out on qualifying for the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, secured victory courtesy of a first half headed goal by Liverpool's Juventus bound striker Ian Rush from David Phillips' corner.

Neville Southall is stretchered off in 1986
Neville Southall's ankle injury was a blow to Everton's First Division title hopes

Wales' win came at a cost however as goalkeeper Neville Southall suffered a serious ankle injury after falling awkwardly.

Republic of Ireland 1-0 Wales, March 1990

Charlton's side avenged their defeat of four years earlier with a pre Italia 90 friendly win at Lansdowne Road against an injury-hit Wales side managed by Terry Yorath.

Malcolm Allen in action for Wales in 1990
Wales striker Malcolm Allen in action against the Republic of Ireland's Kevin Moran in 1990

Middlesbrough's Scotland-born striker Bernie Slaven made his Ireland debut and scored what would be his only international goal to secure the Republic of Ireland's first-ever win over Wales.

Slaven scored from close range after Neville Southall had saved Everton team-mate and Wales-born Kevin Sheedy's penalty.

Republic of Ireland 0-1 Wales, February 1992

The Royal Dublin Showgrounds is home to the annual Dublin Horse Show and is also where Leinster Rugby have played their games since 2005.

Back in 1992 it seemed an unlikely venue to host senior international football for the first time, with its wooden stand and neat hedges along the touchline.

Mark Pembridge's first international goal secured victory for Wales, who have not beaten the Republic since.

Republic of Ireland 2-1 Wales, February 1993

Wales were back in Dublin a year later as they warmed up for a crucial World Cup qualifier against Belgium in Cardiff the following month.

With Lansdowne Road unavailable due to the Five Nations Championship, Tolka Park staged its second senior international with Wales the opposition once again.

Mark Hughes gave the visitors an early lead but two goals in last 15 minutes from Kevin Sheedy and Tommy Coyne secured the Republic's second win over Wales.

Republic of Ireland 1-0 Wales, March 2007

Republic of Ireland and Wales line up at Croke Park in 2007
The Republic of Ireland's game against Wales was the first of 13 football internationals played at Croke Park

Wales were the Republic of Ireland's opposition in the historic first football match to be played at Dublin's Croke Park, home to the Gaelic Athletic Association and the first ever qualifying game between the nations.

GAA members had voted to allow international football and rugby union to be staged at the historic ground during the redevelopment of Lansdowne Road.

Katherine Jenkins sang the Welsh national anthem 'Hen Wlad fy Nhadau' ahead of a Euro 2008 qualifier played in front of over 72,000 but which failed to live up to the pre-match expectations.

It was rather apt that it was Stephen Ireland who scored the only goal of the game to beat a Welsh side which included Ryan Giggs, Craig Bellamy and a 17-year-old Gareth Bale.

Republic of Ireland 3-0 Wales, February 2011

Seamus Coleman and Hal Robson-Kanu
Wales forward Hal Robson-Kanu in action against the Republic's Seamus Coleman

Gary Speed's first game as Wales manager was the first match of the Nations Cup tournament, which also featured Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Wales' first visit to the newly redeveloped Aviva Stadium ended in a disappointing defeat.

Second half goals from Darren Gibson, Damien Duff and Kevin Fahey secured victory for Giovanni Trapattoni's side, who secured the Nations Cup later that season.

Barely 20,000 saw the first game and amid disappointing attendances - less than 600 saw Wales' game against Northern Ireland - and the tournament did not return for a second edition.

Top Stories