Welsh Premier League & non-league round up


JD Welsh Premier League

Tuesday, 9 January

Newtown 3-2 Cardiff Metropolitan: Newtown produced a stunning comeback to shock the Students at Latham Park. Two goals in a minute from Dylan Rees and Jordan Lam midway through the first half gave the Archers the advantage as they seemed on course for a third win of the season over Chris Hughes' side. However, Neil Mitchell turned home Ryan Kershaw's cross within ten minutes of the restart and Jamie Reed then equalised with a penalty for the hosts. The Robins kept pushing and Kieran Mills-Evans scored a winner with ten minutes remaining.

Monday, 1 January

Aberystwyth Town 1-2 Carmarthen Town: Aberystwyth's goalkeeper Lee Idzi scored the first Welsh Premier League goal of 2018 after his goal kick bounced over his opposite number Chris Mullock to open the scoring on 66 minutes. Apart from the incredible opener the game had been quiet for large spells, but two late goals from Liam Griffiths and Matthew Jones gave Carmarthen the points and their second successive win.

Bangor City 0-1 Llandudno: After a quiet start to the game the away side slowly grew into the match and were responsible for the best chances of the first half. Despite their efforts the Bangor defence was eventually broken when Marc Williams got himself in front of an attempted clearance from goalkeeper Matthew Hall and managed to tap the ball in to secure an away win for Llandudno.

Tuesday, 2 January

Bala Town 0-3 The New Saints: Apart from the changing of the referee after just 20 minutes, there was little action in the early stages at the Pavilion. However, two goals for TNS separated by little more than 60 seconds brought the game to life and despite a spirited effort from Bala, Wes Fletcher's late strike sealed the points for the visitors.

Friday, 5 January

Bangor City 3-1 Newtown: Bangor bounced back from their New Year's Day defeat by Llandudno with comfortable win against Newtown. Gary Taylor-Fletcher and George Harry put the hosts 2-0 up before Neil Mitchell pulled one back. George's second goal made sure of the points.

Prestatyn Town 1-4 The New Saints: Prestatyn slipped to a sixth consecutive defeat against the dominant leaders. Wes Fletcher, Jon Routledge Alex Darlington and Aeron Edwards had the champions in complete command before Oliver Buckley's 90th-minute consolation goal.

Saturday, 6 January

Carmarthen Town 0-1 Cefn Druids: James Davies claimed the visitors' winner to bring bottom club Carmarthen back down to earth after back-to-back wins. The win took Cefn Druids up to sixth as they dashed the hosts' hopes of building on their survival hopes.

Connah's Quay Nomads FC 3-0 Barry Town United: Nomads held on to second-place, but remain nine points behind leaders The New Saints as they comfortably saw off Barry Town, who remain involved in a four-way fight for a sixth place finish. Callum Morris Michael Wilde and Declan Poole scored for Nomads.

Llandudno FC 1-1 Bala Town: Marc Williams' early goal for the hosts was cancelled out in the 78th-minute by John Disney as Llandudno and Bala Town both kept their alive their hopes of a top-six finish.

Cardiff Metropolitan 1-1 Aberystwyth Town: Cardiff Met ended their run of five games without a win in some style when they beat Barry Town United 3-0, but had to settle for a draw against Aberystwyth, who are battling just above the relegation zone as Phase One of the season draws to a close. Aberystwyth ended the day one place and four points above the relegation zone after Neville Powell's side ended their three-game losing streak.

Eliot Evans scored the opener for the hosts and Ashley Young replied after the break.

Evo-Stik Southern Premier League

Saturday, 6 January

Merthyr Town P-P Dunstable Town

Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One North

Ossett Town 0-2 Colwyn Bay

Orchard Welsh Women's Premier League

Sunday, 7 January

Abergavenny 3-4 Cardiff Metropolitan (WPWL League Cup)

Cyncoed 3-0 Rhyl (WPWL League Cup)

Port Talbot Town 0-4 Cardiff City

Top Stories