Welsh Cup - Final
Aberystwyth Town1Connah's Quay Nomads4

Welsh Cup: Aberystwyth Town 1-4 Connah's Quay Nomads

Connah's Quay celebrate their Welsh Cup win
Connah's Quay Nomads were appearing in their second Welsh Cup final

Two goals from Michael Wilde helped Connah's Quay romp to victory over Aberystwyth to claim the Welsh Cup for the first time in their history.

Michael Bakare put Nomads ahead when he rounded Aber goalkeeper Chris Mullock.

Wilde added two more goals, first with a header from a corner before breaking free to beat Mullock through his legs.

Ryan Wade's looping header on the stroke of half-time gave Aber hope and Malcolm Melvin's effort struck the underside of the crossbar, with TV replays showing it had crossed the line.

But Andy Owens sealed it for Nomads at the death with a powerful shot.

Connah's Quay finished third in the Welsh Premier League and were already guaranteed an automatic place in next season's Europa League following Bangor City's demotion from the top flight.

So Nomads' victory at Latham Park sees Bala Town, who finished fourth, also qualify automatically for Europe.

Nomads' only previous Welsh Cup final appearance was in 1998, when they lost on penalties to Bangor.

Connah's Quay manager Andy Morrison said: "I'm really proud of everyone. We've come a long way in the last two or three years and that just cements it, to have won the cup.

"All respect to Aber, they've got some really serious threats within their team but today we had too much.

"I'm delighted for my staff and my players because we've worked tirelessly this season and we don't always get the praise we deserve for just how good we are and what we do.

"This puts the icing on the cake on a fantastic season."

Aberystwyth Town: Chris Mullock, Declan Walker, Ryan Wollacott, Tom Owens (Craig Hobson 57'), Malcolm Melvin, Jon Owen, Ryan Wade (Kurt Sherlock 70'), Matthew Jones, Ashley Young, Damien Allen, Joe Phillips (Geoff Kellaway 78'). Subs not used: Sam Kersh, Jack Rimmer.

Connah's Quay Nomads: John Danby, Michael Pearson, Kai Edwards, George Horan, Danny Harrison, Ryan Wignall (Nathan Woolfe 78'), Mike Wilde (Andy Owens 73'), Declan Poole (Rob Hughes 90'+1), Sean Smith, James Owen, Michael Bakare. Subs not used: Jonny Spittle, Jon Rushton (gk).

Attendance: 1455

Referee:Iwan Griffith

Top Stories