Europa League qualifier: Runavík 4-6 Hibernian (5-12)
Hibernian lost two goals in the opening six minutes before recovering to record a remarkable 6-4 victory against Runavik in their Europa League qualifier.
The Easter Road side eased into the second qualifying round 12-5 on aggregate but only after Efe Ambrose's own goal and the first of Klaemint Olsen's hat-trick left them trailing.
John McGinn - playing amid interest from Celtic - and Lewis Stevenson hauled Hibs level before a further two goals were traded before the break.
Ambrose scored at the other end and Stevie Mallan netted two more to ensure Hibs were not embarrassed against a side who currently sit fifth in the Faroe Islands top flight.
Neil Lennon's side now progress to host Asteras Tripolis, who finished fifth in the Greek Superleague last season, in the second round of qualifying next week.
- Ten goals & thick fog - how the game unfolded
- McGinn move 'out of my remit' - Lennon
- Listen: 'Hibs have plenty work to do' - Sportsound podcast
Runavik had defeated Linfield 4-3 at home in 2015 and edged out Dinamo Tbilisi 1-0 seven years earlier only to exit on aggregate. But they had never got through a two-legged European tie.
Despite the match being moved to the 6,000-capacity Toftir venue from Runavik's smaller home stadium, a sparse crowd indicated that the home support had little belief in even a consolation win.
It seemed the main talking point would be the decision of Lennon to field McGinn - who had missed the first leg through injury - thus ruling him out of Celtic's Champions League qualifying campaign should the Glasgow club be successful with a third summer approach.
How the madness unfolded
- 1-0: Hibs, bereft of Paul Hanlon's steadying influence in defence, fall behind within a minute as Jann Benjaminsen's low cross is sliced into his own net by Ambrose.
- 2-0: Pol Johannus Justinussen's low cross from the other wing is bundled past goalkeeper Adam Bogdan by Olsen.
- 2-1: Gray's cross to the back post is half-volleyed home by McGinn from close range.
- 2-2: From Mallan's clever cut-back at a corner, Stevenson thunders a 20-yard drive in off a post.
- 3-2: Runavik are back in front when Justinussen again lays the ball into the path of Olsen, whose low drive from the edge of the box nestles in the net.
- 3-3: Gray volleys home from close range at the back post in first-half stoppage time.
- 3-4: Ambrose gives Hibs the lead with a close-range finish from a McGinn free-kick five minutes after the break as a thick mist descends.
- 4-4: Olsen pounces on a poor back-header from Ryan Porteous to cleverly chip the advancing Bogdan.
- 4-5: Mallan, Hibs' summer signing from Barnsley, curls a fine 25-yard free-kick into the top corner.
- 4-6: Mallan adds his second as his dipping drive from long range loops over deceived goalkeeper Eli Joensen, who had been given a late call-up following a post-match injury to Tordur Thomsen.
- 10OlsenSubstituted forMortensenat 74'minutes
- 16KnudsenBooked at 44mins
- 17BenjaminsenSubstituted forMortensenat 88'minutes
- 18OlsenSubstituted forHansenat 71'minutes
- 3WhittakerSubstituted forSlivkaat 77'minutes
- 6BartleySubstituted forGullanat 88'minutes
- 32ShawSubstituted forSwansonat 78'minutes
- Luis Miguel Teixeira