FAI Cup: Derry City 1-0 St Patrick's Athletic

Gerard Doherty
Gerard Doherty's save from Ian Turner's penalty sent Derry into the FAI Cup quarter-finals

Derry City advanced to the FAI Cup quarter-finals with a dramatic 1-0 win over St Patrick's Athletic.

Derry captain Gerard Doherty saved an injury-time penalty to earn a deserved win for his side at the Brandywell.

The Candystripes appeared to be cruising into the last eight thanks to Adrian Delap's 80th minute goal but the home side struggled to see out the tie.

Former Derry player Simon Madden was fouled in the 95th minute but Doherty brilliantly saved Ian Turner's effort.

The veteran Derry goalkeeper was celebrating his 37th birthday and his dramatic stop was the perfect present for the local hero.

The victory adds to Derry's reputation as 'cup specialists' this season following their shock Europa League win against Dinamo Minsk, while they will also contest the EA Sports Cup final against Cobh Ramblers on 16 September.

St Pat's Simon Madden attempts to clear under pressure from Ben Fisk of Derry
St Pat's Simon Madden attempts to clear under pressure from Ben Fisk of Derry

St Pat's made the better start to the second-round tie with Conan Byrne firing an early free-kick over the bar before flashing a header just off target.

But the home side gradually took the upper hand with Pat's keeper Brendan Clarke called into action in the 18th minute to push Ben Fisk's powerful strike around the post.

Clarke then had to react quickly to make a superb double-save when he managed to bat away Jamie McDonagh's effort before tipping Ronan Hale's follow-up over the bar as the visitors were happy to still be level at the break.

The introductions of Aaron Splaine and Delap in the early stages of the second-half gave Derry an extra attacking edge as they pressed in search of the opening goal.

Splaine fashioned a chance for Hale just after the hour mark but the Republic of Ireland Under-21 international could not get enough power in his shot.

Derry City's Adrian Delap
Adrian Delap's goal gave the Candystripes the lead in the 80th minute

The breakthrough finally came with just 10 minutes remaining when Splaine exchanged passes with Delap before attempting to slide a through pass for his team-mate, who appeared to get the final touch under pressure from defender Ian Bermingham.

The visitors suddenly sparked into life as they scrambled for an equaliser with a succession of corners creating panic in the Derry defence.

The hosts thought they had survived until the final minute of stoppage time when Madden was fouled by Dan Seaborne and referee Neil Doyle awarded the spot-kick, but Doherty had the final say as he stopped Turner's low effort.