NI League Cup: Glentoran and Portadown through on penalties as Linfield also win

Glentoran defeat Coleraine on penalties

Glentoran are through to the League Cup quarter-finals after a dramatic penalty shootout win over Coleraine.

The pulsating game at the Oval ended in a 3-3 draw before Aaron Burns crashed Coleraine's fifth penalty off the crossbar.

Championship side Portadown also progressed on penalties after their third-round match against Newry City finished 1-1.

Linfield coasted through to the last eight with a 5-0 win over Institute.

Bet McLean League Cup third round
Glentoran3-3Coleraine (Glentoran won 3-2 on penalties)
Newry City1-1Portadown (Portadown won 4-1 on penalties)

The Glens will now meet Belfast rivals Crusaders in the next round as Curtis Allen, Chris Gallagher and Joe Crowe all held their nerve from the spot.

Josh Carson's first half opener was quickly cancelled out by a deflected John Herron free-kick in what was a largely uneventful first half.

Allen put the hosts in front before substitute Jamie McGonigle's late equaliser was met with anger from several Glens players who believed the Coleraine forward was offside.

More drama was to follow in the additional period as McGonigle converted from the spot after a penalty was awarded when Eoin Bradley's half-volley struck James Ferrin on the arm from close range.

Allen prodded home Ross Redman's cross just a few minutes later as Coleraine were again guilty of falling asleep just after hitting the front.

A tense penalty shootout began with four of the first five efforts being missed, before Burns' effort came off the underside of the bar to send the Glens through.

Niall Quinn
Niall Quinn scored two first half goals as Linfield coasted past Institute

Linfield enjoyed a rather more calm evening as Niall Quinn and Andrew Waterworth both scored twice as the Blues outclassed a tired Institute side.

Quinn's curling free-kick was the stand-out goal in a first half in which Linfield looked to be in total control from the moment they went in front.

Kirk Millar's lob put a cherry on the cake for David Healy's side who are now tasked with an away trip against Portadown, the only Championship side left in the competition.

The Ports found themselves a goal down at the interval despite dictating a lot of the play against Newry City.

Darren King's powerful header was cancelled out late in the second half by Adam McCallum, who also headed home, to send the game into a scoreless extra-time.

Goalkeeper Declan Dunne starred for Matthew Tipton's Ports in the shootout to restrict Newry to just one successful penalty.

Bet McLean League Cup quarter-finals - Tuesday 13 November
ArdsvBallymena United
Quarter-final - Tuesday 20 November
CliftonvillevDungannon Swifts

Top Stories

Also in NI Sport