Premier Division: Derry City move up to fourth spot after 2-0 win over Sligo

Darren Cole celebrates with David Parkhouse after the Northern Ireland Under-21 player put the Candystripes ahead
Derry will be back in action in the Premier Division away to Finn Harps next Friday

Goals from David Parkhouse and Ciaron Harkin earned Derry City a 2-0 home win over Sligo Rovers as the Candystripes moved up to fourth place in the Premier Division table.

Parkhouse put Derry ahead on 59 minutes with Harkin sealing the victory in the final minute of injury-time.

In between the two goals, Sligo went close to levelling but overall, Derry were good value for their win.

The Candystripes' win moves them ahead of Cork City in the table.

Cork drop to sixth place after their 1-0 defeat by champions Dundalk at Oriel Park as Waterford also edge ahead of them on goal difference following a thumping 4-0 success over bottom club Finn Harps.

Leaders Shamrock Rovers maintain their five-point advantage over Dundalk after a 3-1 home win over UCD although the Hoops have played two games more than the other clubs in the top six.

Bohemians remain third, a point behind Dundalk, after a 1-0 victory over St Patrick's Athletic.

Derry's Eoin Toal attempts to burst away from Sligo's Ronan Coughlan at the Brandywell
Derry took firm control of the game after half-time before losing their way somewhat in the closing stages

Derry earn first win in four games

Derry's victory ended a run of three games without a win following away draws against Cork and Bohemians and the 2-0 home defeat by Dundalk a fortnight ago.

Keeper Nathan Gartside, who started because of Peter Cherrie's hand injury, needed to make a fine early save to deny Sligo's Liam Kerrigan but Derry looked the more dangerous team in the opening period.

Immediately before Gartside's save, Eoghan Stokes fired a great Candystripes chance into the side-netting while Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe missed an opportunity as he lost his footing at the crucial moment before he was denied by Sligo keeper Mitchell Beeney just prior to the interval.

The edge Derry had for most of the first half turned into domination after the break as Beeney denied Ogedi-Uzokwe and Barry McNamee with fine saves before Stokes hit the woodwork from a tight angle.

Derry's first goal eventually came on 59 minutes as McNamee picked up a stray Sligo pass before playing in Northern Ireland Under-21 international Parkhouse.

However after looking well on top, Derry's nerve then threatened to desert them with the arrival of substitutes John Russell and Romeo Parkes also boosting Liam Buckley's side as they adopted a more direct approach.

Ronan Coughlan missed a great Sligo chance on 75 after being set up by Russell while the substitute went close himself late in normal time with a first-time volley.

However, Harkin's goal right at the death sealed Derry's victory.

The Candystripes will be back in action on Tuesday night at the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium when they begin the defence of their EA Sports Cup against Longford Town while their next league game is Friday's game in Ballybofey against Finn Harps.

Top Stories