Peterhead win Scottish League Two and promotion as Cove Rangers secure play-off

Peterhead's Mark Leitch opens the scoring
Mark Leitch scored twice at Hampden

Peterhead secured the Scottish League Two title and automatic promotion after a 2-0 win away to Queen's Park.

Two first-half goals from Jack Leitch mean Jim McInally's side finish five points clear of Clyde.

A draw at Hampden, combined with a Clyde win away to Cowdenbeath, could have won the title for Cumbernauld side, but they lost 2-1

Cove Rangers will face Berwick Rangers in the Pyramid Play-off final after beating East Kilbride on aggregate.

The Highland League leaders had won 2-1 in East Kilbride and finished off their Lowland League counterparts with a convincing 3-0 win.

Cove midfielder Martin Scott was sent off shortly after Mitch Megginson's opener, but the striker struck again before East Kilbride defender Bernard Coll was also shown a red card as the first half drew to a close.

Jamie Masson completed the scoring 15 minutes from time to put Cove into their second play-off final in a row after last season's loss to Cowdenbeath.

Peterhead had been seconds away from the title last weekend until former Clyde striker Peter MacDonald's stoppage-time equaliser for Stirling Albion took the race into the final game of the season.

But the Blue Toon did what they needed to do in Glasgow as goals from Jamie Pyper and Kyle Miller gave Cowdenbeath victory to end a nine-game unbeaten run for Danny Lennon's Clyde.

Martin McNiff had equalised for the Bully Wee, but the visitors finish as runners-up and will face Edinburgh City in the play-off semi-final.

The capital side drew 0-0 away to Stirling to clinch third ahead of Annan Athletic, who won 2-0 away to Albion Rovers.

Two goals in the last five minutes from Tommy Muir, the first a penalty, secured Annan's win.

Elgin won 2-0 at home to bottom side Berwick Rangers thanks to Brian Cameron's 69th-minute goal and a second from Kane Hester with two minutes remaining.

Top Stories