League Two: Cove Rangers suffer first league defeat of the season

Stenhousemuir's Mark McGuigan (right)
Stenhousemuir's Mark McGuigan scored as they beat Cove Rangers

Leaders Cove Rangers suffered their first League Two defeat of the season as Stenhousemuir claimed a narrow 3-2 win at Ochilview.

Cowdenbeath moved up to second and just a point behind Cove after they edged a narrow 1-0 win over Edinburgh City.

Annan returned to winning ways with a 2-1 victory away to Queen's Park.

Elgin moved up two places to sixth thanks to a 3-1 win away to Albion Rovers, while the bottom two sides Stirling and Brechin drew 1-1.

Paul Hartley's Cove got off to a strong start with Jamie Masson picking out the bottom corner early on to put them ahead, but David Marsh replied for Stenhousemuir with a close-range effort before the 10-minute mark.

David Hopkirk put Stenny in front for the first time with his fourth goal this season midway through the first half and former Celtic youth player Mark McGuigan's penalty on the stroke of half-time extended their lead.

Martin Scott's late header reduced the deficit but Stenhousemuir held on for the win to extend their unbeaten run to three matches as they moved up a spot to fourth.

David Cox's winner just before the break saw Cowdenbeath leapfrog promotion rivals Edinburgh City.

Moments later, the away side lost captain Craig Thomson to a straight red card for a bad challenge as they dropped down to third.

Annan advanced to fifth after their win over Queen's Park, who have lost their last three.

Summer signing Scott McLean opened the scoring against his former side after 18 minutes and - four minutes later - Tommy Muir doubled their lead before David Galt pulled one back six minutes from time.

Rory MacEwan and League Two top scorer Shane Sutherland - with his seventh of the season - were both on target as Elgin beat Albion Rovers.

A second-half own goal from Ross Clarke extended the visitors' lead before Smart Osadolor scored a close-range headed consolation for the home side at the death.

Struggling Stirling and Brechin shared the spoils at Glebe Park.

Brechin top scorer Paul McManus netted his second goal in two games as his 47th-minute header broke the deadlock but former Brechin defender Paul McLean, who left Glebe Park after a decade this summer, headed the visitors level midway through the second half.

Top Stories