Renault driver Robert Kubica leaves Italian hospital
Renault's Robert Kubica has been released from the hospital where he has been recovering from serious injuries after his rally accident in February.
Kubica has spent 10 weeks at the Santa Corona Hospital in Italy after suffering a partially severed hand and multiple arm and leg fractures.
"His condition is good," read a statement from the hospital.
On Thursday, Kubica said he would go home to Monaco for a short rest before starting a rehabilitation programme.
"I am starting to feel a lot better," said the 26-year-old, three days before he was discharged. "My strength and weight are increasing."
Kubica was forced to undergo four surgical procedures after the accident he suffered while competing in the Ronde di Andorra only three days after setting the fastest time at the first 2011 pre-season Formula 1 test in Valencia.
While Nick Heidfeld is acting as his stand-in at Renault, Kubica has been slowly recovering from injuries that could still prevent him from returning to the sport.
Renault team doctor Dr Riccardo Ceccarelli warned last month that it was impossible to predict when Kubica might resume racing, but the Polish driver is remaining positive about his progress.
"My recovery is moving in the right direction," Kubica said in a message to his fans on the Renault website.
"The mobility of my hand is limited but this is pretty normal in this kind of situation, because the connected arm muscles are still very weak due to the long period of immobility.
"Things are definitely improving day by day. [After resting in Monaco] I'll move to Dr Ceccarelli's facilities in Italy where I will start a deep rehabilitation programme."
The hospital statement added: "Through scheduled appointments, the driver will continue to be monitored by the doctors who have treated him at Santa Corona."
Despite a few reliability issues, Renault have made a promising start to the season as Vitaly Petrov claimed third in the first race in Australia, with Heidfeld achieving the same result in the second race in Malaysia.
Kubica says he has been watching the season from the sidelines, and keeping in regular contact with the team.
"There's no doubt it's been a strong start to the season," said Kubica. "The potential of the car, which I already noticed in the Valencia test, seems to be confirmed. The guys did a great job with this car and I'm sure they'll continue to improve.
"Since the season started, I've been liaising with my engineers on what's been going on over race weekends.
"They are sending me the race reports so I can remain up to date and fully informed, as if I were at the track.
"[Renault team principal] Eric Boullier is also in constant contact, keeping up to date with my general condition. From my side, I'll try to use my difficult experience to come back as strong as I possibly can."