Karun Chandhok will race in next month's inaugural Indian Grand Prix if Team Lotus owner Tony Fernandes gets his way.
"I'd like him to. It's up to the team to see [whether he will]," the Malaysian entrepreneur said.
Indian Chandhok, the team's reserve driver, has already raced once this season after replacing Jarno Trulli at the German Grand Prix in July.
The 27-year-old has also taken part in several Friday practice sessions.
Team Lotus announced on Sunday that Trulli's contract had been extended to the end of next year but Fernandes said the Italian would be most likely to step down if Chandhok was given the nod.
"Yes, I think Heikki [Kovalainen] is our number one driver," said Fernandes.
If Chandhok does race in India, there should be two homegrown drivers on the starting grid for the 30 October race in New Delhi, with Narain Karthikeyan set to be behind the wheel for the struggling HRT outfit.